Is it possible to rotate labels in layout mode?

06-27-2019 05:32 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using an Ordnance Survey MasterMap base map and I've rotated a map in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3.

However, although the map has rotated, the text has not. Is it possible to rotate annotations? I need to do be solely for this map and I need to be able to select which texts are rotated, as it wouldn't apply to all

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Tim - are you looking for the layout graphic text to rotate when the map view rotates?  If this is the case, then the layout graphic text is on the virtual page not the map view - so no this is not possible.  If on the other hand you're using geodatabase annotation, then this is a layer in the Map View (technically it's a polygon feature class).  If you rotate the map view then the data rotates with it as well.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for your reply.

It is an annotation but when I rotate the map I find the text rotates with it. I still want the text to remain horizontal, as it looks odd for building names to be at an angle other than horizontal.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Tim, 

Unlike labels, annotation will not automatically update based on map rotation. You will need to edit the angle property of each annotation accordingly.

For more information see https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/annotation/annotation.htm

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos