Is it possible to merge SceneLayers in ArcGIS Pro?

07-09-2020 12:44 AM
ArthurGenet
New Contributor II

Hello,

So I have a set of multiple SceneLayers with the same attributes. Do you think there is a way to merge them in a single SceneLayer?

Thank you for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello Arthur, 

What kind of scene layer are you working with?  There are a multitude of different types.  You can refer to the URL below to find a chart of the different scene layer types and whether or not they can be edited.  

What is a scene layer?—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Based on what I've found so far, in the tool documentation it doesn't explicitly state that the tools commonly used to combine layers (Append, Merge, Union) can't handle scene layers, but it also doesn't state they can.  I would suggest attempting these just to see what will happen.  On a more concrete note, I have found a couple clues that lead me to believe this functionality can be achieved.  

The first is outlined in the image below which can be found at the URL below it.  It states that you can combine multiple scene layers into one by using the copy and paste functionality.  For more information about this workflow, go to the URL below titled "Copy and paste features using the clipboard" and refer to the Paste to a specified layer section.  

Best practices for scene performance—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Copy and paste features using the clipboard—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Another example I found of combining 3D data layers can be found at the URL below.  It pertains to ArcMap but should still hold relevancy in ArcGIS Pro.  

Combining features from different layers (Union)—Help | Documentation 

I hope this helps!

Lukas 

ArthurGenet
New Contributor II

Hello Lukas,

Thank you for your great reply. So I am working with 3D Object Layer. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work:

- Append and Merge: I have got an error which says: "Cannot open XXX", it is maybe because I am not the owner of the Scene Layers (but I have access to it so I think it is more a problem of layer type)

- Union: I have not tried it, it is not really what I am looking for 

- Copy and Paste: I have been able to copy and paste in the same layer but I haven't been able to use the special paste to copy paste elements from one layer to another layer. 

Once again, thank you for your help, I will give you some update if I find a solution.

Arthur

0 Kudos