Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to create an inverse mask?

Jump to solution
02-11-2022 10:21 AM
jdruding
New Contributor III

I know how to create a mask where you mask out features that are INSIDE a polygon. (i.e. hide features inside a polygon) Feature Layer->Appearance->Masking  Is there an option to do an INVERSE mask where you hide features that are OUSIDE a polygon?  (i.e. hide features outside a polygon)

I found a way a cludgy way to kind of do what I wanted by using Select By Location,  and deleting or filtering features that are outside of the polygon but that gets messy where features cross the polygon border and involves messing with your data.  Seems like there must just be an "inverse mask" feature that I'm missing.  Maybe it has a different name? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

One method I use is to create a "doughnut" polygon such that the center of the polygon is what is to be shown and beyond is masked to the outer boundary.

Carl

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

One method I use is to create a "doughnut" polygon such that the center of the polygon is what is to be shown and beyond is masked to the outer boundary.

Carl

jdruding
New Contributor III

Great idea!  Thanks Carl, I'll give that a shot.  

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could use Clip Layers (Map Properties)

JayantaPoddar_1-1644609556185.png

JayantaPoddar_0-1644609134178.png

Exclude the layers whose view you don't want to clip (including basemap).

Think Location
AndyDixon
New Contributor II

This would be amazing, except it doesn't exclude my basemaps. It still clips everything

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

Thank you! This should be marked as an answer!

0 Kudos
NickBosGISDivision
New Contributor

I was looking for that solution.  Thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos