iPhone geotagged photos not importing into ArcPRO

02-29-2024 10:36 AM
Labels (1)
Lee-Collier
New Contributor II

I realise this is an annoying Apple issue, but has anyone found a workaround for photos taken on an iPhone not geotagging "properly". Previously prior to iOS 14 I think absolutely no problem take photos on site and then convert to point feature layer but now....

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @Lee-Collier  are you able to give a bit more detail on what in particular is failing about the Geotagging ? If you have a sample photo that works properly and one that does not, please could you post them here. And also please can you give some brief notes on your workflow to convert your photos to a Feature Layer.

0 Kudos
Lee-Collier
New Contributor II

I am using the GeoTagged Photos to Points tool which has always worked in the past.

ttree2.jpg doesn't work

8_Placemark 1.jpg works

I think the issue is that apple have changed how they geoTag photos

cheers

Lee

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @Lee-Collier , I agree, the Tree2 photo does not locate at all.

Please check the Geotag settings on your iPhone: eg Settings > Privacy > Location services > Camera. It could be that a setting's default changed with iOS 14.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1709718074964.png

0 Kudos
Lee-Collier
New Contributor II

Thanks for that, unfortunately the first thing I checked. Increasingly and from previous googling this appears to be an issue of Apples making, starting to look for a work around preferably one that doesn't involve buying an android phone

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

@Lee-Collier  My iPhone has iOS 17.3.1, and Photos taken with that do locate properly with the GeoTagged Photos to Points tool. Can you upgrade your iOS to that version ?

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

@Lee-Collier  This GPS section is completely missing from the Properties > Details section for the Trees2 file.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1709722369020.png

If you are sure your iPhone is setup correctly, could there be some sort of post-process occurring that is stripping away that metadata ?

https://exifviewerapp.com/how-to-turn-on-or-off-photo-geotagging-on-your-iphone-or-ipad/

Otherwise, without that GPS section the ArcGIS Tools won't be able to locate the data, so this question might be better asked on an Apple Community forum instead ?

0 Kudos
Lee-Collier
New Contributor II

Thanks for helping with this, have updated to 17.4 but still no joy, starting to get annoying now! Especially knowing your photos work!

0 Kudos
Lee-Collier
New Contributor II

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem. I was selecting the photos on my iphone then emailing them to myself and saving from the email. Seems that it was stripping the geotag during that process.

If I plug my iphone in and navigate to the photos copy them and put them in a folder it work's fine.

Chris thanks for your help with this, especially as I suspect you knew it wasn't an ESRI problem from the start!