In ArcGIS Pro 2.9, ESRI Terrain layer as a 2D layer versus as a Ground Elevation Surface.

01-10-2022 05:32 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In an ArcGIS Pro 2.9 Local Scene, I have the ESRI Terrain layer loaded as a 2D layer and as a Ground Elevation Surface (WorldElevation/Terrain).

When I run the Extract Values to Points tool on Terrain as a 2D layer, the output feature class has the elevation values as expected.

When I run the Extract Values to Points tool on Terrain loaded as a Ground Elevation Surface (WorldElevation/Terrain), I get all zero values in the output.

I also ran Extract Values to Points tool on the default Local Scene WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D and it returned all -9999 values. The docs say this is because a shapefile does not allow a null value. But why would the value be null? I tried to reproduce this step, but now it's returning "Error 010555: Internal error in Sample: Cannot read raster:WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D. The returned message is not a SOAP response."

Can anyone explain the behavior here?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Not all tools support input of the elevation source. I'll reach out to the appropriate team so they can look into this. Also the help link below has some good information when using services as input to the tools. Thanks for reporting this.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/appendices/geoprocessing-considerations-for-... 

regards,

Andrew