Select to view content in your preferred language

Hydro-Flattenning of water bodies in a Lidar-based DEM in ArcGisPro

Wednesday
cskari
by
New Contributor III

Hi All

I want to learn how to hydro-flatten water bodies in a Lidar-based DEM in ArcGIS Pro (or using any other software). I am searching for a YouTube resource or tutorial with step by step guide. I am a beginner.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EdMorris
Esri Contributor

Hello

In ArcGIS Pro it is recommended that your Lidar files (Can I assume they are LAS files?) are stored in a LAS Dataset; see the link to the Create LAS Dataset tool documentation here:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/help/data/las-dataset/create-a-las-datasets.htm

You can specify a water polygon as a surface constraint. Hopefully that will do what you want by setting the properties of the water polygon surface constraint.

many thanks ed

ArthurCrawford01
New Contributor III

You might want to check out this blog: Hydro-Flattening of River Shorelines in Lidar Based DEM Production (esri.com)  "One of the tricky aspects of DEM production from lidar is related to the representation of water. It’s desirable for lakes and reservoirs to be flat, and for larger rivers to be level from bank to bank while also only flowing downward, never up. The enforcement of this behavior is commonly referred to as ‘hydro-flattening’. It’s done for cartographic, or aesthetic, purposes. Hillshades and contours, for example, will look and behave as expected when made from DEMs that have been properly hydro-flattened. Lakes and reservoirs are relatively easy to handle because they just get completely flattened. Rivers are where the greater challenge lies because they need to flow downslope, naturally following the surrounding terrain."

cskari
by
New Contributor III

Hi All

What I have for HydroFlattening is a DEM of my interested area. It is in Tiff format

Thanks

0 Kudos