How to show printer margins in ArcPro?

Jump to solution
12-22-2017 10:51 AM
PamNooyen
New Contributor II

How can I show printer margins in ArcPro layout?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently, showing printer margins is not available in ArcGIS Pro. This is something that we hope to get to in future release.

Tom

View solution in original post

19 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I believe elements "snap" to the margin (it's one of the software built-in guides) at least in 2.2.1 but I too would like the margins to show or at least provide a way to look a print preview.  I don't like that I could potentially have elements past the margin line and only discover my error when the plotter starts to print it out. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently, showing printer margins is not available in ArcGIS Pro. This is something that we hope to get to in future release.

Tom

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Any idea when Tom?  I'm getting ready to print an E size print and I have no way to know if the layout is correct and I wont be trying to print in the margin.  Is there a workaround for this?  I thought the margins were built in but I can't tell on a layout this large.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One workaround is to set guides on your X and Y planes of the layout.  Right-click on the ruler in Layout View, select Add Guides, click Both for Orientation, Offset from edge for Placement and perhaps 0.5 for the Margin (or whatever you feel is appropriate.).  4 guidelines will be added to your layout.  Then you may create your map inside of those guides.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Thats not too bad for a workaround.  Certainly not ideal because I can never be sure of what the printer margins are but for the map in question, I looked at the original mxd in ArcMap.  In the case of ANSI E the margins are 0.25 for my particular plotter.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Improving the printing experience is something we hope to get to sometime in the next year.  Sorry I can't give you a precise timeline for this, but it is definitely on our radar. Robert provides the current workaround/workflow above.

Tom

0 Kudos
ScottCostello
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Can you point me to a thread in Ideas so I can upvote this issue? If one does not exist, I'll make one. This is basic stuff that should've been in ages ago.

Thanks,
Scott

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Scott - there isn't an idea as far as I can tell.  This is being tracked as [BUG-000109755: The printer margins are not displayed in the ArcGIS Pro layout.]

If you need to be attached to that issue, you can call technical support.  Otherwise, if you just want to track it, you can go to support.esri.com, search for the bug and then subscribe.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Are number of subscriptions looked at the same way ideas are looked at?  As in the more people subscribed, potentially the higher the priority for fixing it would be?  Or do you need to be attached to it?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos