Select to view content in your preferred language

How to move polygons edge by a specific distance in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
10-10-2023 06:24 AM
TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

We are in topology map mode. How to move the edge of two polygons f.e. 100 ft to the east?Map topology; an edge betwen two polygonsMap topology; an edge betwen two polygons

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Try this:

1. Edit Vertices > Edges tab
  2. Select the top node
  3. Turn off Stretch Topology on the toolbar if it's on.
  4. Hover over the node and right click > choose Move.
  5. Set the desired distance to Move > hit ENTER.
  6. Do the same with the bottom node.

Doc here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/move-a-topology-node.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_B98E45E...

GIF: 

movenodes.gif

View solution in original post

TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

I contacted ESRI customer service regarding this matter, and they confirmed that in ArcGIS Pro, in map topology editing mode, the function to move an entire edge (along with all its nodes) shared between polygons by a specified vector has not been implemented. This function was available in ArcGIS for Desktop, but it has not been implemented in the current version. Currently, moving an edge by a specified vector requires selecting all the nodes (without the edge). Then, you can move them by the specified vector using the "Move" command (Move a topology node by a value (ArcGIS Pro) ).

Tomasz Bartuś

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can use the Edges mode of Edit Vertices, select that edge, then select its vertices, right click, then move them by absolute xyz to shift both vertices by the same amount.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/specify-an-xyz-distance.htm

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

Thank You Josh, I knew this methot but I have a problem with Move tool dialog box, because when I select my node and open Move tool dialog box I have a priori some values assigned (As in picture in my other post above). When I try to write my value f.e. X=100, Y=0, and hit Enter, there is no reaction.

Tomek

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Try this:

1. Edit Vertices > Edges tab
  2. Select the top node
  3. Turn off Stretch Topology on the toolbar if it's on.
  4. Hover over the node and right click > choose Move.
  5. Set the desired distance to Move > hit ENTER.
  6. Do the same with the bottom node.

Doc here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/move-a-topology-node.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_B98E45E...

GIF: 

movenodes.gif

TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

Thank you for your quick and precise answer. Yes, I knew this document and tried to do it, but when I opened the Move tool I immediately had some values assigned to X and Y. Changes confirmed with the Enter key are not reflected in the sketch. I don't know where the problem is?...X, Y values a priori assignet in the Move tool dialog windowX, Y values a priori assignet in the Move tool dialog window

It is probably something wrong with a project settings. When I have creted new project and tried to move of an edge between two features, in the Move dialog window there wasn't any X and Y numbers. Do you have any idea, what is going on?... 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@TomaszBartus It's hard to tell from here. My best suggestion is to have Esri Technical Support observe the behavior. 

0 Kudos
TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

OK, I understand what the problem was. So far, I have tried to select the entire edge and move all its vertices at once by a given vector. In ArcGIS Desktop this was possible. In ArcGIS Pro, there is probably no such option and you have to select the vertices separately (+Shift) and then you can move them using the Move tool. I did not find the option to select an edge and move it by a given vector (which was available in ArcGIS Desktop).

greetings Scott from rainy Kraków 🙂

Tomek

0 Kudos
TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

I contacted ESRI customer service regarding this matter, and they confirmed that in ArcGIS Pro, in map topology editing mode, the function to move an entire edge (along with all its nodes) shared between polygons by a specified vector has not been implemented. This function was available in ArcGIS for Desktop, but it has not been implemented in the current version. Currently, moving an edge by a specified vector requires selecting all the nodes (without the edge). Then, you can move them by the specified vector using the "Move" command (Move a topology node by a value (ArcGIS Pro) ).

Tomasz Bartuś

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update @TomaszBartus . What I found odd about your case was that values were being pre-populated in the Move dialog, which isn't something I've seen before. Was that also resolved?

0 Kudos