how to generate tiling scheme in Web Mercator with JPEG tiles?

Jump to solution
08-20-2021 12:19 PM
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

I am attempting to generate a tile cache and then a tile package from multiple overlaid aerial imagery sources.  The client software needs a tile package, and not a service, because it is for computer terminals on fire engines that need fast map drawing and don't have reliable, fast and fat cellular connections.  It needs to be in Web Mercator.  In the Manage Tile Cache tool, I set the Input Tiling Scheme to the ArcGIS Online scheme.  Normally the resulting file is about 18 GB but when I recently added some imagery along the edge of the service area, it ballooned to 139 GB.  What I added is actually smaller than the three existing sources, so I'm puzzling over why it balloons.  My colleague noticed that the built-in ArcGIS Online scheme uses PNG, and suggested that I should set the output to JPEG instead.  When I tiled this data before I used a custom scheme in Oregon State Plane North and set my own scales.  My question is how can I get the Web Mercator scales in JPEG?  I can't modify the existing Web Merc scheme.  It appears the only way to get those scales and also be able to set the output format is to type the Web Merc scales by hand?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes

The Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme tool can do this - "This tool can be used to edit the properties of an existing tiling scheme, such as tile format, storage format, tile size, and so on. In addition, you can also use it to add new scale levels to an existing tiling scheme". See the tool help page for info on the Generation Method and Predefined Tiling Scheme parameters.

FYI: The predefined tiling scheme files are located in the installation directory of ArcGIS Pro, in the <install>/resources/TilingSchemes folder.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Tim_McGinnes

The Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme tool can do this - "This tool can be used to edit the properties of an existing tiling scheme, such as tile format, storage format, tile size, and so on. In addition, you can also use it to add new scale levels to an existing tiling scheme". See the tool help page for info on the Generation Method and Predefined Tiling Scheme parameters.

FYI: The predefined tiling scheme files are located in the installation directory of ArcGIS Pro, in the <install>/resources/TilingSchemes folder.

PaulCone2

Thank you for this.  I found another article that said where to find the .xml for a generated cache, but Pro doesn't see it, even though I can open it in a text editor.  I knew there had to be a path someplace to the preexisting scheme xmls.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do you not have the tiling scheme file (conf.xml or something)? Should be pretty simple to then edit that to JPEG but I'd recommend MIXED.  Also stating the obvious but if you can miss out the highest scales, the cache will be drastically smaller.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

As noted in my comment above, Pro doesn't see the conf.xml files.  Needed scales are very set and I'm aware of size impact.

0 Kudos