Select to view content in your preferred language

How to choose which of two items Align

03-20-2019 10:34 AM
ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

I have a text (box) and a picture which I want to Align Right. The Picture is in the correct position but the size and position changes depending on what the text is, so I am trying to align the text to the picture.

However, it seems rather random if it aligns the text to the picture or the picture to the text. I have tried different combinations of the order in which I select the two elements and over which element the mouse is when I right-click and choose Align Right.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Shaun, 

Alignment in Pro works such that there is no "dominant" element that determines the alignment. What determines the alignment is which element is the furthest in that direction. For example, Align Right will find the element whose boundary is the farthest to the right and will align the other elements accordingly.

One work around for you would be to use the position properties to place the elements.  Be sure to set the correct anchor position.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Is there a way to 'lock' an anchor position. I have a text box which changes size depending on how long the text is, but would be great if I could say that eg. the bottom left corner should always be at position X,Y and the box would expand/contract from that fixed point?

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes. You can set where the anchor (top-right, top-middle, etc...) is for the element, and then the X and Y page positions in either the Element pane or in the Format tab on the ribbon for the selected element.

ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thanks. I did not realize selecting the point made it a fixed anchor.

0 Kudos