Select to view content in your preferred language

How to automatically clear the clipboard once copy/paste of features is complete

05-28-2024 10:03 AM
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

I am having a frustrating issue with Pro once I am finished copying/pasting features into shapefiles.  Pro maintains those selections in the clipboard.  I can slow down my editing to the point of having to close Pro and restarting the program.  When I do this Pro tells me that there is a large amount of data still on the clipboard, and would I like to keep the data to use later or delete.  I choose to delete, and the program freezes, I then have to go into the Task Manager to close the program the rest of the way.  I would like to have Pro automatically clear the clipboard once the copy/paste is complete, I have no need for the Program to hold the data in the clipboard, having the ability to auto clear the clipboard would really help with my productivity in this process.  Thank you for any assistance.  Chad Kopplin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidSolari
Occasional Contributor III

Manipulating the clipboard like that is a faux pas for user-level programs on any OS, let alone Windows so I doubt it'll ever happen. I recommend keeping a text editor open so you can copy some simple text to clean the clipboard yourself, like a painter rinsing their brushes

ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

However, I do not have that issue with any other app not even ArcMap, just Pro.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChadKopplin did you contact Esri Technical Support about the software slowing down for you? I would want to show them the behavior so they can rule out a bug.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you Scott I was going to reach out next, but wanted to find out if others are running into the same issue.  

LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

Even though this isn't actually through Pro, have you tried using the Windows key + V to bring up the Windows clipboard? You can do this periodically and delete single items or everything on the clipboard while you're working in Pro.

ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you Linda, I have used this.

0 Kudos