How to add new field in an attribute table?

05-23-2018 07:13 AM
deleted-user-vI4FgtGn3D1S
New Contributor II

Dear, does any one know how to add a new filed in an attribute table? First I open the attribute table of a shape file, and click the upper left button of "add field". After it pops up a new tab of attribute table, I get totally lost, couldn't  figure out what to do next. The add field button on the top is grey, and the operation is so much different from GIS 9.3.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Still trying to figure out Adobe Captivate, so this video isn't quite Oscar material.....

That should just about do it....
MatthewForsberg
New Contributor III

You can't be in an Edit Session if you are trying to create a field, is that the issue?

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Aren't you always in an edit session with ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Editing is always available in Pro but starting to edit something is still an intentional act.

Maybe what Matthew meant is that there were unsaved edits.  With unsaved feature edits, you can still add a field to the schema, you just can't save that until your edits are first saved.

Henry Zhuhanzhen‌ if you just click on Add from the attribute table, it should automatically open the Fields View and set you up to add a new field.

Does that not work for you?

New Contributor II

Thank you. I followed exactly what you did. However, there is no 'add new field' at the bottom.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Looks like you have an extensive attribute table: have you used the scroll bar to go to the bottom of the Table?

Also, once you turn on the fields view ,

The Fields Tab becomes active and provides an Add New Field button:

When you click that, it'll add a new field called Field for you....

New Contributor II

There is no 'Click here to add a new filed' in my GIS pro in the end of current fields. I don't know why. See the pic.

New Contributor II

Hello guys, I found a solution myself. I can add a new filed through 'Data managing/add new filed' to accomplish this function. Though I still can't do it with the ways you guys mentioned. Anyway, it's solved.