How to add data to attribute column

Jump to solution
09-08-2021 08:17 PM
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am a new user and have a big problem moving the data to and from ArcGIS. I have a layer with an attribute table so that the each FID is related to a specific polygon. I also have an Excel table with the same number of rows and some extra data for the each FID. My plan is to add this data to the attribute table so that eventually I create a map showing the distribution of this data. Sounds simple, but copy & paste does not work, and for some reason I can't link the two tables by the FID column. Could you help please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tony_DLR22
New Contributor III

Before performing the Join, double check the datatypes on the joining fields are the same. You may be trying to join a string to double or something. This may be your issue. Also if you're using excel, try to export it to table.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

Hi @Mikhail - Esri provides a number of tool to assist users loading data from external files into ArcGIS. The below tools will help you with what you are trying to achieve:

ArcGIS Solutions - Data Loading Tools

Object Loader and Simple Data Loader Tool

Excel To Table Tool

Append Tool

I hope that helps.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response. I finally managed to join the two tables using the Join tool, but all I get is the column names from the source table copied into the attribute table. With this I have two problems. First, the columns with matching names get duplicated. Second, the content is lost, and instead of the data from the sources table I only get <Null>. Is there any way to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Tony_DLR22
New Contributor III

Before performing the Join, double check the datatypes on the joining fields are the same. You may be trying to join a string to double or something. This may be your issue. Also if you're using excel, try to export it to table.

Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, it works now!

0 Kudos