Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you create a New Shapefile with 'Shape_geometry fields' in geographic coordinates?

Jump to solution
09-12-2023 02:08 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

How do you create a New Shapefile with 'Shape_geometry fields' (Shape_leng and Shape_area) in geographic coordinates (longitude-latitude in degrees)?

...The only thing I can think of is to create it in a Geodatabase feature class first, then export it to a Shapefile.
Is that true?

Another thing I'm wondering is how these were created before the advent of the Geodatabase some 20 or so years ago?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Yes, ...not exactly the question I had, but certainly related to it. Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks for sharing that Post link! 

And, so, yes, Shape_geometry fields are automatically added to a Shapefile when certain geoprocessing tools are run. ...something that I had forgotten about, but does explain how those fields likely get created. 

And, yes, the other Post also states a point related to this, which is that ArcGIS will provide those Shape_geometry field calculations in "geographic (lat/long degrees) units" if the Input layer is in those units. However, you cannot manually calculate these in geographic degree coordinates. Interesting...

0 Kudos