How do you add a border around a legend patches?

02-18-2021 04:51 AM
Labels (1)
AdamG2
by
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1 and trying to place a black border around my legend patches. I can't seem to figure this out and am unable to find posts or even ESRI help on this topic.

The raster is continuous and symbolized as classified if that helps. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam, 

The legend (on the layout) pulls symbology directly from the layer. You cannot change the symbol's appearance separately in the legend. If the layer does not support adding a border around the symbol the legend won't either.  I'm not an expert with raster symbology, but I don't believe this is supported. Unfortunately, you'll need to add independent graphic rectangles for this effect.  Obviously this would not work if the legend is dynamic and will change based on the current map extent.

I did not see a suggestion covering this in the Ideas site. Please feel free to add one for this if you think this would be a good enhancement.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Tom

AdamG2
by
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response.

I should have been more clear and stated I wanted this in both the map frame and layout frame (for the legend). I think I will keep looking around, but I will certainly be adding this as an idea!

Thanks again

0 Kudos
AdamG2
by
New Contributor III

Would it be misleading to other users to see your response as a solution when in fact the core idea of my question is potentially not answerable right now? 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

My advise would be to leave it "unsolved" for a bit. Perhaps there is a "raster guru" out there that may have a solution.

0 Kudos
AdamG2
by
New Contributor III

Ok, I'll will. Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

for integer rasters, you could try Raster to Polygon, then symbolize the polygon layer with a hollow (empty) fill with a black border and place it above the raster in the Table of contents.

You have to somehow get a "zone" out of a raster and not discrete cells in order to have a "border" around the zone... so you cheat

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AdamG2
by
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response.

Yes this cheat is something I read about before and will definitely consider implementing if I find I will be changing my layers around frequently. The only problem is that this is several more steps and layers added depending on the workflow, which is definitely a deterrent compared to just adding rectangle graphics. 

If you think this would be a great addition to raster symbology, fell free to give my idea Kudos over on ArcGIS Pro Ideas "Adding borders around legend patches". Also, if you think I could add more information or detail in that idea, fell free to help me improve it!

Thanks!

0 Kudos