Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I get rid of an errant longitudinal label in my graticule?

Jump to solution
09-25-2023 01:41 PM
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

This longitude label is showing up about a third of the way down from the top of my map.  How do I get rid of it???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! These labels didn't appear in ArcMap, but they should have. When ArcGIS Pro was built some of the bugs in ArcMap got addressed. In this case more labels appear which is accurate, but sometimes annoying.

You can turn off these labels though! For cases like this, you can define the edges of your map frame and then choose which labels (northing, southing, easting, or westing) draw on which edge.  

AubriKinghorn_0-1695697251783.png

To do this, select your graticule in the Contents Pane, right-click and choose Properties to open the Element Pane. On the Element Pane check Define map grid edges. You can preview the edges too (this is helpful if you have non-rectangular map frames)

AubriKinghorn_1-1695697416601.png

Then when you go to the labels component you'll see the option to turn labels on and off per edge. You can turn the North labels off for the edge you don't want. 

AubriKinghorn_2-1695697576384.png

Learn more about graticules, including how to use edges here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graticules.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_AD...

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's not actually an errant tic, since the 144.5° longitude line intersects the right side of the map frame at that point. Due to the projection you've chosen (probably one intended for the 48 states), the map is skewed at that longitude. If you notice on the left side of your map, the 149.5° tick marks aren't absolutely vertical, even though the north arrow is pointing straight up. 

You can change this by choosing a projection better suited for Alaska or by modifying the central meridian of your projection to -147°.

0 Kudos
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response.  The map projection is Alaska Albers, which is standard for the entire state of Alaska, so that's not the problem.   I can't believe that there is no way to get rid of that label there. This never happened in ArcMap.  

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Alaska Albers projection has a central meridian of -154°, which is the longitude where the north arrow is pointed straight up.

Alaska1.jpg

However, your map is east of that, so the longitude lines are going to be angled to the left. Plus you can see the 145° tick on the right side.

Alaska2.jpg

By modifying the central meridian, the longitude lines now appear more vertical.

Alaska3.jpg

GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

Right, I get that.  I just wanted the label and tick mark to not show up without having to modify the central meridian. The problem is that we make a lot of maps from all over the state.  We would have to change this for every project we do.  In ArcMap the longitudinal label didn't show up where it crosses the edge of the map.  That's what I need.  In the end I adjusted the interval, but I suspect that this is just a quick fix for now and it will remain a problem for us.  The alternative is to not use a graticule I suppose.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! These labels didn't appear in ArcMap, but they should have. When ArcGIS Pro was built some of the bugs in ArcMap got addressed. In this case more labels appear which is accurate, but sometimes annoying.

You can turn off these labels though! For cases like this, you can define the edges of your map frame and then choose which labels (northing, southing, easting, or westing) draw on which edge.  

AubriKinghorn_0-1695697251783.png

To do this, select your graticule in the Contents Pane, right-click and choose Properties to open the Element Pane. On the Element Pane check Define map grid edges. You can preview the edges too (this is helpful if you have non-rectangular map frames)

AubriKinghorn_1-1695697416601.png

Then when you go to the labels component you'll see the option to turn labels on and off per edge. You can turn the North labels off for the edge you don't want. 

AubriKinghorn_2-1695697576384.png

Learn more about graticules, including how to use edges here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graticules.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_AD...

Cheers,
Aubri
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

@AubriKinghorn Thank you!  That did it.  I think this is a lot more complicated than it needs to be, but at least I have a style that I can save and my cartographers can use.

0 Kudos