How can I stop duplicate maps updating in layout

11-22-2018 02:30 AM
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

I have a layout and I have added a map frame. I want to duplicate this map frame in the same layout (side by side for comparison). Because I have duplicated my map frame, when I turn off a lyaer in one layout's mapframe the layer also turns off in the other layout's mapframe. I understand this might be useful in some cases but it is not the behaviour I want in this instance.

1 Reply
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Oliver, 

This is by design.  Both map frames point to the same map, so any changes made to that map, such as turning layers on/off, changing layer rendering or changing the spatial reference of the map, will be reflecting in ALL map frames pointing to this map. For more information please see Add and modify map frames—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop.

If you wish to have the map frames display different information you will need to create separate maps.  You can do this by copying and pasting the original map in the Catalog pane. Once you have a copy you can adjust layer visibility as needed and point one of the map frames to this new map.

There is an existing enhancement request that you might find interesting - Locked Multiple Layouts in ArcGIS Pro.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos