How can I make my layers sit together?

10-01-2021 12:14 AM
ChristineHosking
New Contributor

Please see the screen shots. I can see that the extents aren't matching but I am struggling to fix this.

The first point file was imported via XY data from excel

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One is in a geographic coordinate system and the other is a projected one.

Your second one seems to be an event theme, you should convert it a featureclass in a file geodatabase.

I would check that both then have a properly defined coordinate system at that point.  If they do, they should project on the fly in a map.  If they don't, then one of them was defined incorrectly.

I would also check the point layer's x, y values to see if they make sense

... sort of retired...
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe the XY coordinates from Excel is in "WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_56S". Kindly use this coordinate system while creating the Event Layer from the Excel.

Once the data lies properly, you may reproject the coordinate system to a desired one using Project tool.

JayantaPoddar_0-1633096189386.png

If prompted for transformation (while adding the second layer to Map), you could use the following transformation method.

JayantaPoddar_1-1633096398226.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
ChristineHosking
New Contributor
Thank you very much JayantaPoddar for the advice. That worked.

May I ask you, how did you determine these were the coordinates in the excel file?

Christine
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Glad it worked. Don't forget to mark "Accept as Solution" for the reply that addressed your problem.

I took the coordinate values from the extent of your layer (from XY Table), and I created a CSV file with 4 values.

First I defined GDA_1994_Albers as the coordinate system (Make XY Event Layer). That didn't go as per the expected resultant. 

Then I thought of using some commonly known Projected Coordinate Systems like UTM_WGS_1984 and Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).

As per the extent of your shapefile, 56S is the correct UTM Zone for the area. When I defined the same coordinate system, while creating the XY Event Layer. The event layer was overlaying on top of the shapefile's extent.

Identifying an unknown coordinate system—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

Think Location
0 Kudos