Georeferencing via bearing and distance for Short Plat Survey

Jump to solution
08-29-2023 01:46 PM
Labels (1)
VogtBoat
New Contributor III

I have a TIFF image of a subdivision survey that I need to georeference in ArcGIS Pro. The survey includes control points, but they are specified as distances and bearings rather than geographic coordinates. Is there a method to accurately georeference this raster using these types of control points? I played around a bit with the Ground to Grid Corrections tool but I could not tell if it was correcting my TIFF survey or not. 

Below is a control point on my survey TIFF, showing the PLSS intersection that location is, but it is 3956.77 feet south. How do I use that to georeference the survey? 

ilqJingQLB.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TristenDenton4
New Contributor III

If it's a survey then there should be directional coordinates along with the feet listed on the line. In that case as long as you have a starting coordinate, you can create a line/polygon class that follows directional distance and digitize a spatially accurate feature, then georeference to the exact points. 

TristenDenton4_0-1693343390913.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TristenDenton4
New Contributor III

If it's a survey then there should be directional coordinates along with the feet listed on the line. In that case as long as you have a starting coordinate, you can create a line/polygon class that follows directional distance and digitize a spatially accurate feature, then georeference to the exact points. 

TristenDenton4_0-1693343390913.png

VogtBoat
New Contributor III

This worked! Thank you so much. 😍

0 Kudos
TristenDenton4
New Contributor III

Not a problem, when I found that tool it made georeferencing so much easier for hard plats/surveys. Glad you were able to get what you needed.  Good Luck!

0 Kudos