Select to view content in your preferred language

Geodatabase History toolbar: Historical Archive Tool where do you find this in ArcGIS Pro

10-14-2022 08:51 AM
MarkStoakes
New Contributor

Where do you find the equivalent to the Geodatabase History toolbar: Historical Archive Tool (ArcMap) in ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mark - I had to look this up via the old ArcMap toolbar but this sounds awfully close to Geodatabase Archiving and tracking the history of features over time.  You can read more about it here.

0 Kudos
MarkStoakes
New Contributor

Thanks @Robert_LeClair It is Geodb Archiving.  I have an Archive Table. In ArcMap I can view the archive, but I can also see the entire archive as I've illustrated in the image I attached. For example, in the image you can see all the changes to OBJECTID = 350. This is accomplished using the Geodatabase History toolbar: Historical Archive Tool .  I can't see how I can see the same information in an attribute table view using ArcGIS Pro

I'm trying to find the equivalent of this documentation for ArcGIS Pro: "Working directly with the archive class"

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So walking though my images, I have archiving enabled on a parks feature class and the archive class is created riverside_parks_h that I can see in Pgadmin (using PostgreSQL for my RDBMS).

archive1.JPG

I return to ArcGIS Pro and set up for an edit - going to create a new park (circle).

archive2.JPG

Add the new circle park - Robert Park and do a save for the edit.  Transaction time recorded is the computer clock time as like ArcMap.

archive3.JPG

This is seen in the archive class in Pgadmin

archive4.JPG

I return to ArcGIS Pro, click list by data source, right-click on the default version and click "Change Moment" - this opens the History Pane.
archive5.JPG

And then when I want to work with the archive class in ArcGIS Pro, I use the History Pane to view points in time with the data and apply those dates/times.
archive6.JPG

Is this what you were thinking?

0 Kudos
MarkStoakes
New Contributor

Thanks @Robert_LeClair for looking into this a bit deeper.  All of that is what I would expect, but not quite what I'm looking for. 

If you edit Robert Park again, at the time 2022-10-19 08:57:00, and rename it say, Mark Park. You now have a history of that park with a  GlobalId= {8DF1C466...}. Initially Robert Park with a GDB_TO_DATE = 2022-10-19 08:57:00 and  a second entry with park name Mark Park with a GDB_FROM_DATE = 2022-10-19 08:57:00  and a GDB_TO_DATE = 9999-12-31 23:59:59

In ArcMap Geodatabase History toolbar: Historical Archive Tool I would see two entries for Robert Park - the one you added call Robert Park and the edited version called MarkPark, both with the same GlobalID but different .  I can't see how I can see the same information in an attribute table view using ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mark - apologies for the tardy response - been teaching a lot of classes and have 1/2 a day somewhat free to respond.  So if I'm reading this correctly, you're interested in seeing the featureclass_H table - i.e. the archive class table - in ArcGIS Pro?  That way you can see both the Robert Park and the Mark Park as well as the TO and FROM dates.  Correct?  If you're using SQL Server, you can create an OLE DB connection via the Catalog Pane->Databases folder and view the *_H table directly.  Would that workflow work?

0 Kudos
MarkStoakes
New Contributor

@Robert_LeClair That's exactly what I wanted. I can use an OLE_DB connection to view the *_H table. It would be nice to have this option within ArcGIS Pro at some point. Thanks very much. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This is the workflow to create an OLE DB connection via ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos