Files consistently disappearing from file gdb?

831
9
09-12-2021 05:45 PM
Labels (1)
ArianneFord
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

This has only started occurring in the last week, and it is driving me insane. Has anyone else run into issues with rasters or feature classes randomly disappearing from geodatabases? It isn't just happening with one gdb, it is consistently happening with all of them I am working with.

I'll do some processing, save the outputs to a file gdb, do whatever needs doing. Shut my computer down for the night, reopen it the next day to continue working, and half the files in the gdb now come up as having broken sources in the project. I go to check the gdb itself, and the files themselves have disappeared, so it isn't just a broken link. It's happening with rasters, tables, and feature classes. The first couple of times I assumed it was a corrupt gdb and recreated everything from scratch, but it keeps happening, even with newly created geodatabases.

Anyone seen this happen before and have any ideas? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you working across a network, locally, or in the cloud?  If working across a network or in the cloud, can you run the same process locally and see if items disappear in that scenario?

ArianneFord
New Contributor III

Thanks for the possible tip, but unfortunately the answer is neither. Working locally off my C drive. And it is only happening with geodatabases - none of the files I have stored outside of a gdb have had a single problem.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is the location of the folder being backed up, automatically, via OneDrive / Google / etc. in real-time?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
ArianneFord
New Contributor III

Nope ☹️

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am wondering if there is something "goofy" with the file geodatabase.

Have you run a repair on your ArcGIS Pro client? You mention that it is still happening with newly created fGDB's.

Where there any "updates" to your machine around the time the behavior happened?

Maybe make a copy of the fGDB in question and run this tool; https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/recover-file-geodatabase.htm...

Otherwise I would recommend contacting technical support for more guidance.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
ArianneFord
New Contributor III

Thanks George. I tried that to no avail. It recovers a bunch of attribute tables, but not the features, nor the rasters (which apparently the tool isn't designed to recover anyway).

I've logged the job with tech  support, but thought I'd try the hive mind in the meantime! Appreciate the help!

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

FWIW, I usually store rasters on file disk and use a Mosaic Dataset for visualization. I know that it is not always an option, based on the rasters.

--- George T.
ArianneFord
New Contributor III

Also my preferred option! However for this particular workflow it isn't.

It's odd that I didn't have any issues with it until about a week ago. Nothing has changed with my Pro install, and I can't imagine any Windows/Office updates would affect geodatabases in such a targeted way.

Anyway, fingers crossed tech support can help out before I tear my hair out!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to do a "repair" on Pro.  It may be the software itself.  Add/Remove programs, Remove, Repair.

It has been the issue for some.  


... sort of retired...
0 Kudos