Field Calculator Overwrites Previously Selected...not currently selected.

11-10-2021 08:18 AM
RobCahalan1
New Contributor III

I am having an issue calculating fields in ArcGIS Pro and overwriting previously selected data, not the currently selected data. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3. The feature class I am trying to edit is stored locally.

There below steps are taken from another question (Solved: Re: 2.6.1 - field calculator with selection, dange... - Page 2 - Esri Community) by @danbecker and covers my issue exactly, the previous post says solved, but I did not see a solution, just an explanation.

1. Select a record in attribute table. Right click on field, calculate field, specify a string to calculate, hit APPLY
  2. make sure and leave the field calculator floating window open
  3. change the selection in the table to a different record
  4. the field calculator window is already open, don't change anything except a new string to calculate, hit APPLY or OK, doesn't matter

Notice what happens…you would expect that the record selected in step #3 would be calculated, i.e. the one currently selected, but it actually calculates the formally selected record, i.e. the selection in step #1.

Any idea if there is a correction for this??

5 Replies
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

You're correct, this is STILL HAPPENING with the latest version of Pro.

In my case, it happens when the Pro map containing the calculate layer, at one time contained a hosted feature layer that was published from Survey123 connect.

Even if you remove the HFL from S123, the problem still happens. If you hit the OK button on the field calculator, (rather then Apply), then the problem never happens, irregardless of S123 HFL presence/not.

AngelBarnett
New Contributor III

This is an issue for me as well. Happens exactly as described.

The bug makes it difficult to trust the calculate field function, which I use quite often

0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

This continues to happen for me also. I just never hit Apply button on field calculator. That always negates this issue. 

0 Kudos
AngelBarnett
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. This is still an issue for me because hitting the Ok button also closes the field calculator window.

For multiple field calculations, the calculate field window would need to be reopened and expression rewritten for each calculation.

This gets to be pretty inconvenient when the only thing changing from one calculation to the next is the selection.

0 Kudos
AngelBarnett
New Contributor III

The issue also occurs when using the Calculate Fields (multiple) geoprocessing tool.

0 Kudos