Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature to point creates centroids but symbol is polygon

02-13-2024 07:28 AM
GeoDeli
Emerging Contributor

I am experiencing the most weird problem so far with ArcGIS Pro. I created a grid using Generate Grid from Area, and then tried to create a centroid for each one of the grid's polygons, using Feature to Point. The output was set to be saved as a separate shapefile in a conventional folder. It worked, and the points are visible on the map, but in the Contents pane, the point symbol appears to be a polygon! 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 171633.png

The points are not tiny circles, I zoomed in as far as I could. The point color does not change when I change the "polygon's" symbology. Has anyone else experienced such a problem? 

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2, and I noticed that if I save the Feature to Point output in a gdb, it works just fine. I closed and reopened the Project, I restarted ArcGIS Pro, I even tried on a blank map, but there is no solution other than having to save my points in a gdb, which I don't want for this specific shp.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

I did a quick trial run and got similar results. I don't know if it's a bug or a feature. The attribute table shows the features as Point for the shapefile but signals a polygon feature in the Contents pane.

BarryNorthey_3-1707849560224.png

The attributes carried over are slightly different as well between the shapefile and fGDB feature classes, so they are handled differently.

BarryNorthey_0-1707849180920.png

Exporting the shapefile to a new shapefile returns the same result as the input.

As a workaround, you can change the Contents pane symbol for the shapefile layer by opening the layer's Symbology and selecting Unique Values to generate all other values:

BarryNorthey_1-1707849272161.png

then reset it to

BarryNorthey_2-1707849419921.png

GeoDeli
Emerging Contributor

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your answer. I saved the Feature to Point output in a gdb and then exported it as a shapefile, which worked. But, as Dan said, I need to report it as a bug to ESRI.

Thanks for spending your time to find a solution.

Cheers,

George

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would report the issue to Tech Support.

Since you seem to have found that saving to a featureclass in a gdb works, then exporting that featureclass to a shapefile after would be an interim solution.

Nothing gets addressed unless it is assigned a case number, however, so reporting is strongly encouraged.

... sort of retired...
GeoDeli
Emerging Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your answer. That's exactly what I did as a workaround, but I would definitely want to report this issue to Tech Support. Any ideas on how to do that?

Cheers,

George

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

Recorded as: BUG-000165154

GeoDeli
Emerging Contributor

Hi Barry,

Lots of thanks!

0 Kudos