Feature Classes disapear and reappear when zooming

02-04-2021 09:48 AM
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I have feature classes from a geodatabase in a map that was all working just fine yesterday, however I had loaded some CAD files into the map and used feature class to geodatabase to add one feature class from CAD into my geodatabase.  It crashed the geodatabase, so I used the recover geodatabase tool and created a new geodatabase.  All of my broken feature classes work again, however they are randomly disappearing and reappearing while I zoom.  See video to see what I mean.  I tried to repair geometry, but no change resulted.

7 Replies
JustinJohnston

I don't know if this is the best solution, but I used the feature class to shapefile tool to convert my geodatabase files to shapefiles.  I loaded them in from the shapefiles and all appears ok.  I then used the feature class to geodatabase tool and converted back to a newly created geodatabase.  The new GDB seems to be functioning correctly as well.  Not sure what broke everything, but seems to have something to do with CAD features.

Cheers,

Justin

BerstonGeorge3
New Contributor
I am just wondering if anything with scale default limitation at certain scale levers that small.

[cid:image002.png@01D5F703.78315840]

[cid:image004.png@01D5F703.78315840]

Berston C. George
Cadastral Surveyor

Bureau of Land Management

U.S. Department of the Interior

P: 505-954-2062

F:505-954-2025

bgeorg@blm.gov

New Mexico State Office

301 Dinosaur Trail

Santa Fe, NM 87508

www.blm.gov

[cid:image006.png@01D5F703.78315840][cid:image008.png@01D5F703.78315840][cid:image010.png@01D5F703.78315840][cid:image012.png@01D5F703.78315840]

Caring for the Land and Serving People

JustinJohnston

I checked and there were no scale limits set.  The "Clear" button was greyed out.  Also, the features disappear and reappear at scales that are not consistent with how that limits work. If you look at the end of the video, there is a feature class that disappears as I zoom, then reappears at a lower scale.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Another thing to try is export the affected feature class out to an XML Workspace Document (*.xml).  Create a new file geodatabase for testing purposes.  Import the *.xml workspace document into the new file geodatabase and see if this behavior continues.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
VMitch
by
New Contributor III

I would be inclined to agree with the scale limitation that @BerstonGeorge3 mentioned above 

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

I have this same issue and it is so frustrating!!!  My issue is with 4 simple polygons in a File GDB Feature Class - I zoom in and out and they just randomly disappear.

WDMParkPlanner_0-1704916573691.png

WDMParkPlanner_1-1704916588409.png

I wish I understood what "scale default limitation at certain scale levers that small." means. I thought maybe it has something to do with the polygons having a hatched fill...but i just cannot figure anything else out.

0 Kudos
WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Worth noting: I figured out to "repair geometry" and that did the trick for me...sorry that it did not for you!  Here is what I got from the repair geometry process: 

Repair Geometry
=====================
Parameters

Input Features Technical Feature Area
Delete Features with Null Geometry DELETE_NULL
Repaired Input Features Technical Feature Area
Validation Method ESRI
=====================
Start Time: Wednesday, January 10, 2024 2:07:27 PM
WARNING 003598: Updated feature class extent.
Succeeded at Wednesday, January 10, 2024 2:07:27 PM (Elapsed Time: 0.14 seconds)

0 Kudos