Failed to Import mxd to ArcGIS Pro

09-28-2016 08:26 AM
LesiMai3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I was trying to import .mxd created using ArcMap 10.4.1 to Pro 1.3. After selecting the map document, Pro just shuts down automatically. I tried importing .mxd created in ArcMap 10.2, and the same thing happened.

Did I miss something here? Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you!

18 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have not run the MXD Doctor as the mxd's open and function completely fine within ArcMap. As I test I suppose I could, however seems unnecessary given the mxd's don't appear to have issues other than the Pro import. I would not consider them to be complex mxd's, more or less just standard stuff.

If the import failed message provided some feedback that would be at least a starting point, however I can not see any information as to specifically why it is failing.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If the import failed message provided some feedback that would be at least a starting point, however I can not see any information as to specifically why it is failing.

That sounds like a new Idea for GeoNet to have in trouble-shooting this issue.

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

I also had this problem. Was running Pro 2.1. Upgraded to 2.2 and it worked. Not sure if that well help anyone else having this issue.

0 Kudos
MichaelHuber
New Contributor III

I just upgraded to 2.4.2 and I am unable to import a huge selection of my mxd's in ArcPro. I've tried mxd doctor with no luck. Is there anything specifically that may be restricting me opening my mxd in Pro? I was hoping to avoid rebuilding my maps from scratch. Not to mention I have completely had it with ArcMap Legend exporting issues.  pro 2.4.2 import_error import mxd

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is this a complex mxd?  Maybe try importing a simpler mxd.  Some items that might cause problems would be annotation layers or more complex symbology.

0 Kudos
MichaelHuber
New Contributor III

Thanks for your suggestion! I wouldn't say my mxds are very complex.. one of my maps I am trying only has 8 features in it so I'm pretty baffled as to what is causing it to fail. 

I'll keep trying different mxds to try and figure out what is causing it. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!

Table of Contents for MXD.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Michael, sorry you're having problems importing mxds into Pro.  At this point, it might be more productive to get in touch with Technical Support so they can help troubleshoot.  Esri Support Contact Support 

Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Kory,

Do you know of any information on what elements of or issue withs an MXD might not import well into Pro?

I've never had any problems with importing MXD's until today when a whole batch of MXD's won't import. The common denominator appears to be an error with scales:

Interestingly, when I switch to Data View instead of Layout View in ArcMap and save that way before importing, Pro will also crash but show this in the ImportLog:

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Did you ever try and look at the ImportLog that gets created in your "ImportLog" folder inside your project folder? It might reveal some error message (or then it might not...).

0 Kudos