Failed to add location to the feature layer

12-28-2020 09:30 AM
SherenaH
New Contributor

I am following the tutorial of 'Create points from a table' <https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/create-points-from-a-table.htm>. 

At the step of 'Add a feature interactively' -- 'Add To Feature Class', I got an error 'failed to add location to the feature layer'. Same issue when adding location via XY.

I am using GIS Pro and it is activated. 

I reloaded the tutorial package and tried again, but it was still not working.

Just wondered if anyone knows how to solve this. Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Sherena:

It looks like you were using the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service to search for the location in the Locate pane...

1. Which version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

2. Does your organizational account have geocoding privileges? Adding or saving the results in a feature class when using the result from the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service consumes credits.

3. We resolved the issue of using the XY provider returning an error when using Add to feature class in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

0 Kudos
EricDubois
New Contributor

I have the same problem as Sherena. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.0. It is authorized and I am signed in. I have the same error message box. How do I find out if my organizational account has geocoding privileges?

0 Kudos
SherenaH
New Contributor

Hi Eric,

I solved the error myself. You have to convert the data to a  geodata format, then you will be able to add whatever you like onto the map. Hope that helps. 

Sherena

0 Kudos
EricDuboisUO
New Contributor

Thanks Sherena. I'm not sure exactly how to do what you suggest. In my case, I took the X, Y coordinates that the World Geocoding Service returned (in "show details"), entered those into the search box, and added the result from the XY provider to the feature class. That did work. Very strange.

Eric

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Eric:

Is this workflow different from what you did initially when you received the error? Are you now getting the expected results in Pro 2.8?

0 Kudos
EricDuboisUO
New Contributor

Today it is working as described in the tutorial and I do not get the error message I got yesterday. I don't know what changed, but all is good now. Thanks, Eric

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Sherena:

Were you attempting to add the result from the Locate pane to the XY Event layer when you were going through the tutorial in the following steps versus the feature class that gets exported to the project geodatabase in the tutorial? I'm trying to understand what  you selected in the Add to Feature Class dialog while going through the tutorial and what you mean by "You have to convert the data to a  geodata format."

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/create-points-from-a-table.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_F5...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/create-points-from-a-table.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_DF...

Thanks,

Shana

0 Kudos