Exporting selected Features to a new layer resulting in more features than selected!

03-08-2021 01:30 PM
RaviBansal
New Contributor

When I query to select a set of features from a feature class layer and export it to a different layer. The resulting new layer has more features as compared to initially selected.

For example, X is the original feature class on which I applied selection criteria via the 'Select by Attributes' option. The resulting selection had 10 features. Then I right-clicked on Data > Export Features and exported it to a new feature layer. When I add this layer to the map, I can see 21 features! (and not 10 that I had filtered).

The selected 10 features are part of the set of 21.

But, why am I getting 21 instead of 10 when exporting to a new layer?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jelle_Stu_PR
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried creating a layer from selected features first, and then exporting the data? Is 21 also the total amount of features in the whole layer?

0 Kudos
RaviBansal
New Contributor

Hi Jelle,

The number of selected features is jumbled up in the original layer itself. In the original layer, I am getting way more selections than expected.

Please see my reply and the attached screenshots in response to Dan's reply.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It works as designed for me.

Try opening your table to confirm that only 10 records were selected prior to export.

Check to make sure that they aren't multipart features.

Post before and after shots of your tables with the selections visible if you are still having problems

Use the Copy Features or FeatureClassToFeatureClass tool(s) for comparison to the shortcut data-export

... sort of retired...
RaviBansal
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

The featurclass is for points and they are not multipart features. I am attaching screenshots from the DB query, Map with selected features in ArcGIS Pro and the Attribute table with selected features.

DB screenshot shows that the feature class has 48074 records out of which 10 have the occurrencetype as 9058. The map screenshot also shows 10 selected features but the number of BLUE dots is much higher than 10. Lastly, the attribute table screenshot shows that 21 features are selected with 11 of them having occurrencetype other than 9058.

I am not sure what am I doing wrong.

0 Kudos
Jelle_Stu_PR
Occasional Contributor II

I am not sure what is going wrong but I came across this issue as well in one of our managed Oracle databases. The DB query shows the expected results, but the selected features in ArcGIS Pro selected way more features than expected. 

Obviously this should not be happening, but I have the feeling (in my case) it has to do with the configuration of our database and that ArcGIS Pro isn't reading it correctly?

0 Kudos