Euclidean Distance Tool not honoring Maximum distance parameter

Jump to solution
02-26-2020 01:44 PM
MattPawson
New Contributor II

Hi all

I'm trying to work out distances between hydrants and buildings using the Euclidean Distance tool. My output looks as expected other than that the raster is returning values within my whole extent rather than just stopping at my defined 300m (the areas not calculated in attached pic are either constrained by my environment extent or are completely blocked by the barrier).

This isn't a problem for my test area, however I suspect it is one of the reasons why I'm struggling to get a timely output for my whole district if it is calculating everywhere rather than just where we have water hydrants (source). I have completed a similar analysis a few years back in ArcMap and that worked fine using similar parameters.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why this may be occurring?

Things I've tried so far

- Checked my map is in the correct map units (it is correctly in meters)

- Output to an external HDD rather than network drive to shorten output file path and to have no spaces

- Started new ArcGIS Pro project and geodatabase from scratch

- Rasterised input source data

- Running on a different machine

I'm currently on 2.4.3. I also see there is a new set of tools in 2.5. I would rather not use these as I'm using this tool as part of a larger model and don't want to mess around with re-configuring it. I didn't spot any bug fixes mention in the release notes for this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattPawson
New Contributor II

Resolved. I ended up trying to upgrade to Pro 2.5 but when I opened a new project I was getting an error popup about being unable to find some python libraries. I ended uninstalling, deleting some files that were still in the 'program files' directory, and reinstalling. This reinstalled python as well which looks to have fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi, only a desktop guy unfortunately. Do you have a processing extent setting which might overwrite this option? 

0 Kudos
MattPawson
New Contributor II

Hi David. I do have an extent defined in my environment settings (see attached above). However I would have thought this would work in conjunction with the maximum distance parameter rather than overwriting. I'm 90% sure I tried using the default extent during one of my troubleshooting but I'll try clipping all my input data to my test area and running with Extent = default and see what happens.

EDIT - I clipped all my data to my test area and ran with Extent = default. The issue persisted.

0 Kudos
MattPawson
New Contributor II

Resolved. I ended up trying to upgrade to Pro 2.5 but when I opened a new project I was getting an error popup about being unable to find some python libraries. I ended uninstalling, deleting some files that were still in the 'program files' directory, and reinstalling. This reinstalled python as well which looks to have fixed the issue.

0 Kudos