Duplicate labels show when exporting to AGOL

04-23-2021 06:06 AM
Labels (2)
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

Trying to push a may to ArcGIS Online using ArcGIS Pro. Each time I process the share to online it shows duplicated values. I am publishing it as a Hosted Tile Service as I have customized symbology. I tried exporting as its own layer rather than a map and it happens again.

JohnDavidson_0-1619183016966.png

Below are my settings currently being used for labeling of this Layer and Class.

JohnDavidson_3-1619183078821.png

JohnDavidson_2-1619183061467.png

JohnDavidson_1-1619183042279.png

0 Kudos
18 Replies
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

I just tried testing this using the Standard Label Engine and it resulted in the duplicated label. I was using Classic Map Viewer. Does the Classic v. Beta make that difference? I couldn't see any difference between the two. What steps did you take to get the Map Viewer Beta Version you have shown above? Did you output the feature as its own layer? I believe that was the case. I can give that a go this afternoon if that's the case. Thank you for taking a look at this.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

No.  The viewers made no difference for me either.  Just testing different workflows.  For the map viewers, I published a web map vs. a tile layer to test.  No duplicates via sharing as a web map.  Then shared it as a web layer as a tile layer and one as a feature layer.  The only time duplicates show is the tile layer.  Hence me thinking it's related to the BUG I listed in my initial reply.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It would appear that generating tiles evaluates rendering settings per tile, almost as if you were doing a massive map series, or were repeatedly panning your map and exporting.

The label placement is just in the center of the portion of the feature which is visible. In Pro, this will render a label down near the edge of a polygon if most of it is out of frame. Looking at the individual images created by the tile pack, there is a cut-line between tiles where you're seeing this issue.

I'd say it's a feature, not a bug, and a cautionary tale to really getting your rendering settings carefully configured before exporting to a static format like tiles.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ZandBakhtiari1
New Contributor II

@Robert_LeClair I am coming across the same issue with duplicate labels although mine are on street center lines.  I could not find the bug you referenced and I and wondering if anyone has found a work around to maintain label fidelity when publishing a Vector Tile?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Zand - I pulled up the internals to determine the status of BUG-000116520.  It seems it's "under review" at the moment.  I do not see a workaround currently.

0 Kudos
ZandBakhtiari1
New Contributor II

@Robert_LeClair thanks for the quick response.  At first I thought is was an issue with user make vector tiles but I am seeing the same behavior in the Authoritative ESRI vector tiles.  While I agree this is still an bug it makes me feel better knowing that it's not something I did.

TheaEvans
New Contributor

@Robert_LeClair has there been a status update to BUG-000116520? I am experiencing the same label duplication and tried making adjustments to attempt resolve the issue before finally stumbling across this thread. I've also noticed that the label stacking settings I have applied in ArcGIS Pro (using maplex) are not properly displaying in my hosted vector tile layer once it is uploaded into ArcGIS Online. In ArcGIS Pro, I have spaces set as stacking separators with a maximum number of characters per line set to 12, but the hosted vector tile layer displays those same labels with multiple spaces in a single line of 20 or more characters. Is that a known issue that is included in the same bug?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thea - apologies for my delayed response.  I looked at the internals and BUG-000116520 is showing "under review" currently.

0 Kudos
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

No, they have not corrected this issue.

0 Kudos