Do we need to create "Portal for ArcGis" or need to "Federate the ArcGis Server".?

08-31-2018 02:24 AM
vamsiboppana
New Contributor II

Data loading and create data in ArcMap and publishing the same through "Share As" option into Local host. After publishing the data into host, recalling the published data Through "Web Adaptor" as a "Rest services" and showing the data to client through Web portal or IOS App.
Now a days we are using ArcGis Pro also. We are trying to use Esri free live data in to our web portal. Example :- World traffic service.
By using ArcGis Pro we loaded data "World Traffic service" through and trying to share the data into our webportal. We succeed sharing of the data into ArcGis account. After sharing the data we cannot able to show or recall the data into our webportal or IOS App.
To overcome this problem, do we need to create "Portal for ArcGis" or need to "Federate the ArcGis Server".?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Adding a wider audience: ArcGIS EnterpriseEnterprise GIS

--- George T.
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

With the "free traffic service", are you referring to one of these items:

Because these services are not "free" (as in available to everyone). 

This item requires an ArcGIS Online organizational subscription or an ArcGIS Developer account 

If you have the base implementation of ArcGIS Enterprise, you will have Server, portal, the data store and the web adaptor and you will federate the server to portal and all security will go through identities (the named users). 

Since the traffic is already a service and it is shared, I would simply consume it in a web map and share to those people that need access to it.  

0 Kudos
vamsiboppana
New Contributor II

Hi Bakker,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are trying "https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=bbdcd78953e5439985004023c8eda03d"

We have Enterprise account and since long time we are using ARCMAP "shareAs" option to publish the data into Local host through server. By using Web adaptor to recall and showing data into IOS App and Webportal. But we have not done federate the server to portal.

As per answer we need to do federate server to portal.

If i did this step is it possible to see the Traffic service data into our IOS App or Web portal?. If yes please give links to federate to portal procedure.

Vamsi Krishna Boppana

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Something to consider, are you using ArcGIS 10.6?  If so something that I have seen is that after publishing the new service and I choose to share with everyone, it does not care through to the service.  I need to log into ArcGIS Server Manager, choose the services button, and then choose the sharing on my service and set it to everyone in the manager.  This feels like a bug, but I have not been able to report it yet.  

Also, when you federate your portal and ArcGIS Server, be sure to take screen shots of your server users, roles, and any other pertinent settings, because they will be overwritten with the portal, because these features will be managed by the portal after the federation.  With the screen shots you will be able to recreate those users/roles much quicker.

0 Kudos