Distance Marker Locator in ArcGIS Pro, does it work?

04-09-2019 06:57 AM
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a locator in ArcGIS Pro using the "Distance Marker" locator style. I create a feature class with the fields listed in the docs, but the resulting locator never finds a match when I use it.

It seems that this locator is setup almost like a linear referencing system (LRS), but since it is a point feature class, I'm not sure why I can't just have defined locations to search.

What I did was create a layer with "Distance", "Units", "Direction", and "Street Name" as listed in the docs. The "distance" field is a double since I have values like "20.2". The "units" I calc'd to "Miles", and the "Street Name" is set to "I-83 N".

I do not understand the "Direction" field, in the example in the docs it has an "F" or a "T"....almost like the coding for oneways. So I assume "F" is "from node" and "T" is "to node".... but why bother? I have a point geometry with the location.

Has anyone successfully created a Distance Marker locator?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

John:

How will you be using the locator the you create with the Distance Marker role?

What problem are you trying to address by creating a locator based on the Distance Marker role?

What is an example of the address you tried to find after creating the locator?

0 Kudos
JohnFix2
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a geocoder for highway mile markers. Trying to find (from my point file) locations like:

20.1 I-83 North

20.2 I-83 North

20.3 I-82 North

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

John,

Please try to enter the following instead:

Mile 20.1 I-83 North

Mi 20.1 I-83 North

I-83 North Mile 20.1

I-83 North Mi 20.1

Brad

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

There seems to be an error in the documentation.  Distance direction is not required and not even a field that can be mapped.  How did you map your fields in the Create Locator tool?  Try mapping just distance, distance unit, and StreetName (if you have the StreetName components parsed out in your data, it is better to map each individually instead of just mapping the FullStreetName to the Street Name field).

Also, how did you enter the mile marker text when you were searching?

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos