Disperse Markers at Every Scale

01-12-2022 04:45 PM
Labels (3)
dzsiegel
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am working to create a map of multiple people's movements over time for a historical mapping project, which I intend to display in a web format for others to view. The current data (pictured below) is not complete, and will likely have about 2.5x the number of points and lines by the time I've compiled everything. 

However, as is the case with a few of these points, they represent a married couple, so their locations (where they live), are the same. As well as the fact that the map includes the movement of many of these individuals to a single location (incarceration camps of Japanese Americans during World War 2). It seemed that "disperse markers" tool would do the trick, however, I suspect that would require setting a reference scale that would render the points essentially invisible at the regional, country, and global level, which I I don't want. That's because the movements of these individuals are both local and global. 

I did see this possible solution, but I'm a bit weary about digging into a programming language that I don't know.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-api-for-javascript-questions/disperse-symbology-markers-at-all-...

Anyways, I'm quite a novice, so any suggestions about how to possibly get around this would be super helpful!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

disperse markers requires a reference scale

Disperse Markers (Cartography)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

so it will only handle the points on the map not the connected ones

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could just use a point symbol as a label, then let the labeling engine spread them out for you.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS