Disable ArcGIS Download Patches on Workstations

02-06-2018 01:02 PM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I was able to quickly download a patch to Pro 2.1 (Patch 2.1.1) where it was automatically installed during the download process.  This is fine for a test computer, but I will need to have more control over this download when Pro is placed in a real production environment.  As such I have 2 questions:

1.) If I was not an administrator on the workstation, would the 2.1.1 be able to be auto-installed onto the workstation or would I have received an error message saying I did not have sufficient permissions to perform this action?

2.) Is there a setting in Pro that would disable the ability for users to download and install a patch to their workstation?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I had the same issue with a 2.0 test machine. I did the "Download  Update" thing, thinking all I was going to get 2.1. Imagine my surprise when 2.1.1 came with it. 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael, the answer to number one 'if I was not an administrator . . .' appears to be no, you do not receive an error message, but the user is prompted for an admin login, or at least the login the installed the 2.1.0 version. 

One of our staff without admin rights just tried to perform the update, and as soon as the Pro update manager finished the patch download it launched the windows installer and at that point the windows installer asked for credentials.