Select to view content in your preferred language

Design/Fields View NOT Saving

Jump to solution
07-18-2023 02:16 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Frequent Contributor

When I make changes in the Design/Fields View, and click Save, they do not save.

For instance, when I change the Alias to something else or re-order the fields; it is NOT saved after I close the Table, Remove it from Contents, then add it back to the Project.

This feels like a BUG..?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So to make an alias change permanent, at the top of the Fields Designer is a dropdown menu with the name of the current layer.  Click the dropdown and choose Data Source.  Then any and all alias changes are saved to the Data Source.  When you remove it from the Map View, add it back in, it will remember the alias change.  From a very long time, reordering of fields is never remembered.  It's on the wish list - there's a lot of ArcGIS Ideas for that item.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So to make an alias change permanent, at the top of the Fields Designer is a dropdown menu with the name of the current layer.  Click the dropdown and choose Data Source.  Then any and all alias changes are saved to the Data Source.  When you remove it from the Map View, add it back in, it will remember the alias change.  From a very long time, reordering of fields is never remembered.  It's on the wish list - there's a lot of ArcGIS Ideas for that item.

Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Frequent Contributor

Ah, thanks -- I never realized that was there!
But OK, it worked now. Interestingly, however, is that it did permanently change the formal Field Name without having to make the Data Source switch.

JessicaJThompson
Frequent Contributor

Any way to apply the layer aliases to the data source without manually typing them? Or copy and paste? 

0 Kudos