Creating map of roadways

01-20-2022 11:05 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been given an excel file with attributes including the coordinates of the beginning of roadways and the ends of those roadways. I have been asked to map out these roadways using the coordinates I have been given and I am supposed to include the other attributes. Any ideas on how I can do this would help, thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
There is a useful tool to work recently added to ArcGIS: convert Coordinate Notation. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/tool-reference/data-management/convert-coordinate-notation.htm
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I always forget this one!

You could have used 

• DD_1 Both longitude and latitude values are in a single field. Two values are separated by a space, a comma, or a slash.

but! your coordinates are in the wrong order potentially!  depending where in the world you are! so you had better confirm that Longitude then Latitude is the order

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you create the lines by editing you would need to tag each one with a unique identifier that you could join to a table of attributes. Seems to me it would be easier to use another existing road dataset and do conflation (ie a spatial join on your two-point road centroids) to try to get your attributes onto existing roads. Kind of depends on your data.

0 Kudos