Select to view content in your preferred language

Coverting CAD to Shapefile in ArcGIS pro

04-11-2024 11:26 AM
kalpanaGelli
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

first I converted PDF file into CAD through AutoCAD. then I am working onto convert CAD DWG file into shapefile in ArcGIS pro.  I converted the data, with proper coordinate system using conversion tool from geoprocessing. But i am not getting map in required location. I tried with direct add data option also. but still, it was shown in somewhere else, out of the location. i tried many ways by defining projection, geo referencing. But it didn't work out. 

please give me your suggestion and solution on it. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

Hi @kalpanaGelli 

Have you tried to change the map projections or ensure you have the correct basemap in use?

Right click on the map name (in the content pane) > Properties> Coordinate system

The Define Projection (Data Management): 

• This tool only updates the existing coordinate system information; it does not modify any geometry. To transform the geometry to another coordinate system, use the Project tool.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/define-projection.htm

The Project Tool: 

• If the input feature class or dataset has an unknown or unspecified coordinate system, use the Input Coordinate System parameter to specify one. This parameter allows you to specify the data's coordinate system without having to modify the input data. Use the Define Projection tool to permanently assign a coordinate system to the dataset.

I would try the map projection first perhaps.

0 Kudos
kalpanaGelli
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel, 

I did, but it is not working, till in the properties section, it is showing selected coordinate system, but it is not in that location on map.  I checked Map properties and changed coordinate system of the map, I used Define projection, projection tool. but it didn't work out.  i didn't understand what is wrong here.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

What is the coordinate system of the PDF/ CAD file, and your Pro basemap/project?

Are the data in the CAD file in the same coordinate system as your map?  If so, the exported data should load in the correct place (though, you may get a warning that it is not defined). 

R_

0 Kudos
kalpanaGelli
New Contributor II

CAD files doesn't have any coordinate system, got from outside vendor for the city. I am trying to convert into the NAD 1983 (2011) STATEPLANE FLORIDA WEST FIPS 0902 (US FEET).

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

To convert from one coordinate system to another, you need to know the input coordinate system as well.

If you can find out what the CAD file was built in, you can use the project tool to convert it.

I'm not a CAD guy, but a lot of CAD people design in their own 'local' coordinate system (often see origin as 5000, 5000).  We have now made a standard that vendors convert to our SP coordinate system before sending to us.

However, I do occasionally get these, and as long as there are some 'known points', I use the Georeference CAD data tool  to 'rectify' the data into our SP coordinate system.  

R_

0 Kudos
kalpanaGelli
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance. i just want to mention issue clearly. actually we have pdf files, don't have CAD files. so we changed CAD pdf files into CAD dwg format using AutoCAD software. after changing into CAD DWG format, i imported them into arcGIS pro, georeference the feature dataset - particular class with coordinate system, but it is showing somewhere on the ocean. here i would like to understand one thing with your help:

Do i need to do anything else AutoCAD software when converting from pdf file to CAD DWG format ? to resolve the issue, is there anything else can i solve this one with myself  or 

Do i need to approach the builders who did it for solving the problem? 

please give your thoughts on it ? 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

I'm really not a CAD guy, but don't believe it has the ability to spatially import GeoPDFs at this time, maybe I'm wrong, but I only see a way to import them as an image.

But, if you really do have a GeoPDF (pdf with spatial information), there is no need for the CAD step as you can use the PDF to tiff conversion tool in Pro to import the PDF (with Write GeoTIFF Tags checked) to a geoTiff that will draw in the correct location (at least, the location of the PDF). 

If it is just a pdf without any spatial information, just convert it to a tiff/jpeg, add to Pro project and georeference to the desired coordinate system.

R_

0 Kudos
-_-
by
Occasional Contributor

If you are using ArcGISPro, you can also use "ArcGIS for AutoCAD" to align the positions on the CAD side.

ArcGIS for AutoCAD 

Converting from pdf to dwg is possible in Adobe illustrator, but I think the location information will be lost.

0 Kudos