Select to view content in your preferred language

Clipping SLPK Mesh, Result lost the Texture/ Texture is only white

Jump to solution
02-15-2023 02:28 AM
Dombe
by
Emerging Contributor

I read that since ArcGIS Pro 2.8 it is possible to use the clip function on SLPK Input-Data.

When I try to cut out an area from a SLPK file, the target file loses its textureand only appears completely white.

What I'm trying to do is cutting a very large 3D-Model of our city as an SLPK-File (63gb), produced with Agisoft Metashape, in smaler Tiles with 1km x 1km dimension, so we can use only the tiles we need in a project and make working with them faster than working with the big file.

But regardless of the size, the problem also occurs in smaller test projects.

Can I change anything in the settings or use a tool before or after cutting the data to restore the texture?

Or is there another way I can cut a SLPK file into pieces?

Greetings and thanks for the help

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing the slpk. As I suspected this slpk is missing required textureSetDefinition properties from the layer description. Because the clip tool does not fix invalid slpks it does not write out the textures because they are not specified correctly.

https://github.com/Esri/i3s-spec/blob/master/docs/1.7/textureSetDefinitionFormat.cmn.md 

Besides going back to Agisoft and having them fix the slpk the only other option is to use the Project tool. Since the Project tool does rewrite the entire slpk it does fix this issue. I was able to successfully reproject the slpk and then clip it.

thanks,

Andrew

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

like in these examples

Modify an integrated mesh layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Dombe
by
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for the answer.

I think modify is not the right tool for my use case.
Maybe it would work if I wanted to clip and share a single area, but it doesn't change anything in the original slpk data.
My goal is to cut the large original file into many small 1kmx1km files using a Python script.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

We have seen this with certain slpks from Agisoft that are not adhering to the I3S Specification. If you are able to send the clipped slpk I can take a look.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Dombe
by
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for the offer to help.

You can download the Test-Data (not the very big one) from: https://cloud.ulm.de/index.php/s/kmdgFPFdfXJ7DAQ 

thanks,

Dombe

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing the slpk. As I suspected this slpk is missing required textureSetDefinition properties from the layer description. Because the clip tool does not fix invalid slpks it does not write out the textures because they are not specified correctly.

https://github.com/Esri/i3s-spec/blob/master/docs/1.7/textureSetDefinitionFormat.cmn.md 

Besides going back to Agisoft and having them fix the slpk the only other option is to use the Project tool. Since the Project tool does rewrite the entire slpk it does fix this issue. I was able to successfully reproject the slpk and then clip it.

thanks,

Andrew

Dombe
by
Emerging Contributor

It works! 🙌

Using the Project tool first and project the data from one coordinate system to the same coordinate system, actualy fix this issue. I was afraid the project tool would work because of the size of the data (63 gb), but it was no problem. 

Thank you very much for this secret tip 👌😊

0 Kudos
ZapopanJalisco
New Contributor

ZapopanJalisco_1-1683068101934.png

Hello, I also have this texture problem from Agisoft. Could you explain which "project tool" you use and how to do the process? I would really appreciate it.

0 Kudos