Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot add field

12-04-2017 10:01 AM
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

I cannot add a new field column to my attribute table. It is greyed out in all menu areas.

Tags (1)
31 Replies
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Basic Desktop Licence*

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

OMG copy the shapefile to a geodatabase using the Copy Features tool see if that works.

They need a 'Bugs' page in GeoNet

And it is only Monday

IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Yup that works!

Haha they really really do need that... I can't bill these hours in good conscience!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan and Ian Brown‌ I'd recommend searching for bugs on support.esri.com

BUG-000101840: Unable to add fields via the New Field feature for s.. 

This one is out there and discoverable in a search.

Hope that helps in the future!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I limited my search to the last year... grief...  but still a BUG list by number would be nice, just chronologically added... call it 'issues not addressed' then move it to 'issues addressed' when done

0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Yup, I also found this Bug?, tried it repeatedly but no joy, I finally used the add field tool to get r done.

p.s. Is there a limit to how many tools can be added to the Quick Access Bar? I would like to add the Add field tool to the Quick Access Toolbar.....

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Have you tried and not been able to add it to the QAT?

Not sure there is a built-in limit, but there may be a practical limit (like how many icons actually fit across your screen).

You might find this interesting: ArcGIS Pro: Ribbons, Toolbars, and UI Hacks | ArcGIS Blog 

0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Yup, it looks like you can only add tools to the QAT from the edit-tools, not the Analysis-tools, or directly from the geoprocessing Toolboxes either, using right click.

After reading your above link in the ArcGis Blog, I'm continuing to see if I can do this, I could be miss something obvious.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You're right, you can't add the gp tool to the QAT. But you can add the Add Field from the Table > View ribbon.

0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Nice, exactly what Im looking for, but then the "Bug" bites me!

Its all greyed out? what am I missing?

How do I add the new field?

help?

0 Kudos