Can not create Network Dataset using shapefile in ArcGIS Pro 2.7

Jump to solution
07-13-2021 08:25 AM
MobushirrKhan
New Contributor II

Hi guys,

I am trying create a network dataset in ArcGIS Pro 2.7 (have Network Analyst Extension). I have tried running Create Network Data Set tool but Target Feature Data is not shown in teh tool. 

I have imported the shapefile as feature class in .gdb.

Any support is appreciated.

Kind Regards

MRK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The steps look right. You will have to Build Network after Create to actually create all the topology and attribute information.

There is a network dataset tutorial you can use to learn more.

Create a network dataset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you created a Feature Dataset? A Network Dataset can exist only inside a Feature Dataset.

Con't confuse a Feature Dataset with a Feature Class.

All source feature classes must reside in the Target Feature Dataset and must not already participate in a geometric network, a utility network, or another network dataset.

Think Location
MobushirrKhan
New Contributor II

Thanks and now working on creating feature dataset first

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

When you create the feature dataset, make sure it has the same spatial coordinate system as the feature class you will place in it. You can import the coordinate system from the feature class itself.

Jay Sandhu

MobushirrKhan
New Contributor II

YUP did that. created a new Featue Dataset > mentioned output geodatabase and given an name. used the same coordinate system. Run 

Then in Catalog pane, rightclick on the feture dataset and imported feature class. 

Now the network dataset was successfully created and i can see Network dataset along with a junctions point shapefile.

I hope i have chosen the right steps.?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Keep all the feature classes that take part in the network dataset, inside the same feature dataset (including the junctions).

Think Location
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The steps look right. You will have to Build Network after Create to actually create all the topology and attribute information.

There is a network dataset tutorial you can use to learn more.

Create a network dataset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Jay Sandhu

JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

A network dataset is created inside a Feature Dataset of a geodatabase. So make sure the feature class that you have in the geodatabase is placed inside a feature dataset.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
MobushirrKhan
New Contributor II

Thanks and now working on creating feature dataset first

0 Kudos