Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I use multiple map indexes in a map series to use dynamic text from multiple layers?

Jump to solution
07-26-2024 02:30 PM
Labels (1)
JLarson123
New Contributor

The company I work for recently upgraded from ArcMap to ArcPro and I have been trying to recreate map layouts that utilized ArcFM autotext in ArcMap. Unfortunately, the company has not added ArcFM to Pro and I need to create new maps using the autotext data without having to input it manually, so I am trying to recreate this data using dynamic text but have only been partially successful.

I need to use dynamic text from two different layers to label locational data for the central location and the locations to the North, South, East, and West and a third layer to label the city. I have figured out how to use dynamic text from the index layer for the map series to populate these values after using the Calculate Adjacent Fields tool, but I have not been able to figure out how to use dynamic text for the two sets of remaining data.

Is it possible to have multiple index layers to accomplish this or is there a workaround? The only thing I can think of is using the Calculate Adjacent Fields tool on the two layers containing the data to generate the directional values, doing a spatial join, and doing another spatial join for the city. Then all the data would be in the same index layer for the dynamic text. I have several hundred thousand records I need to calculate this data for, so this could be rather time consuming and I would have to recreate this entire process when utilizing other data.

The following images show a rough example of the data I have and the output values I am trying to label on the map. Each map in the series will have different values for the central location, each direction, and city.

JLarson123_0-1722029357484.png

JLarson123_1-1722029363997.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JLarson123 

A map series can only have a single index layer. The process you outlined makes sense and is, in my opinion, the best way to achieve what you want. You may want to consider building a model for the process for repeated use.

Tom

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JLarson123 

A map series can only have a single index layer. The process you outlined makes sense and is, in my opinion, the best way to achieve what you want. You may want to consider building a model for the process for repeated use.

Tom

JLarson123
New Contributor

Thank you for the help. A model would definitely be useful for future use.

0 Kudos