Select to view content in your preferred language

Building Pyramids: Is it worth it for a Mosaic Dataset?

10-13-2023 08:21 AM
Labels (2)
mpboyle
Regular Contributor

We recently received hundreds of .tif images for a countywide imagery project.  Ultimately, we will be building a mosaic dataset out of these images.  It is unlikely that users will be accessing the individual .tif images, but rather they'd be accessing the mosaic to view the complete imagery package.

My question is: is it worth our time (and disk space) to build pyramids on the individual .tif images?  Will there be any performance gain on the mosaic if pyramids are built in addition to the overviews that we already plan on creating?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

from what I remember when I built mine, the mosaic dataset will load faster if you build pyramids. 

But I didn't know building or not building pyramids was an option. I always thought you had to build pyramids for it to load correctly. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

untried, but "overviews" might be an alternative

Mosaic dataset overviews—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
mpboyle
Regular Contributor

I'm aware of overviews, which are used for mosaic datasets.  I'm really just curious if there are benefits to building pyramids on the individual tiles in addition to the generating overviews.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

speed of loading if you intend to allow for zooming in and out etc. on individual components.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos