Bug Alert: ArcGIS Pro Automatically Restores Deleted Project Folders

01-28-2024 05:57 AM
lorenzo_crecco
New Contributor

ArcGIS Pro version: 3.2

Hi, I have encountered a persistent bug where ArcGIS Pro automatically restores project folders that have been deleted. 

Despite repeated attempts to delete these folders, they reappear upon restarting the software or my windows machine. The folders are not sync with my OneDrive (or other similar services) and my Recycle Bin works fine.

I do not know what I should do to solve the issue. If I uninstall ArcGIS pro these projects folders stop reappearing but I need to use the software so it is not a solution 😅.

I hope someone can help me!

All the bests,

Lorenzo

21 Replies
LanQingZhao
New Contributor

Same problem here. Is anyone able to fix this? 

Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Have you reported this issue to Esri Support?

isohel
by
New Contributor II

Excellent suggestion. I am not an "Authorized Caller" for my organization so I would have to go through my Administrator. This bug is primarily a nuisance and doesn't seem urgent. I would take my own time to report it, but I think the admin probably have bigger issues on their plate, so I'm not going to pursue it personally. If anyone knows of a way to report bugs that is open to all users, please share.

isohel_0-1713788879277.png

Edited to clarify that the bug is a nuisance, not calling tech support.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

@SimiBasu I didn't get an email notification when @isohel replied to my comment.

I also didn't get a notification in my Notification feed. I only got a notification about the kudo. But if my comment hadn't been kudoed, then I wouldn't have known about @isohel's reply.

Bud_0-1713818257256.png

Is that expected?

0 Kudos
Dankotaru
New Contributor II

Same problem. Empty project folders on my desktop and in my Documents folder on the C drive keep getting restored after they have been deleted. Repeatedly, for weeks now. Looking at the time stamps when these folders get restored and my system logs, it's clear the deleted folders keep getting restored when the Task Scheduler launches ArcGIS Pro Indexing:

"Task Scheduler launched action "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\ArcGISIndexingServer.exe". And then the deleted project folders reappear.

This has become very annoying.

Dankotaru
New Contributor II

I've dealt with this by turning off indexing in the ArcGIS Pro Options menu. No more zombie folders.

0 Kudos
FRAP_RebeccaFerkovich
New Contributor II

I have this problem as well on 3.2.0, not just on my desktop. It does indeed apear to be related to the index process running.

0 Kudos
RemWilson
New Contributor II

I'm adding onto this thread as I also have the same issue persisting. It seems to be related to a 3.2.x patch as it doesn't appear to happen now that I've reverted to 3.2.0, but I've also noticed I can't modify my indexing setting under the application group in the applications settings, which I thought would be used to control this issue.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon! I manage 3 organizations, and create new projects everyday for various clients. My project folders are getting very long with folders that keep popping up and have nothing but the empty index folder in them.

This issue persists on both local storage and cloud storage drives. I have a network storage that I believe it would occur on too, but the network storage acts as a backup for projects and doesn't have entire projects moving off it very often.

ZbigniewTru
New Contributor

Same issue: folders on desktop are auto-restoring. There's a folder_index with three subfolders: Connections, Thumbnails, and Project Folder. However, every folder is empty.

0 Kudos
clai
by
New Contributor II

Same problem with automatic restoring folders. How to fix the bug?

0 Kudos