Select to view content in your preferred language

Are there ways to subdivide polygons into polygons with different areas?

03-02-2023 03:02 AM
merkesy
New Contributor II

Hi,

I want to divide polygons into polygons with different areas. For this I have used the subdivide polygons tool. However, this has only worked sometimes and periodically gives error messages that I can't get fixed. Are there any other ways to divide polygons into different sized polygons besides this tool. Or are there any solutions for that in Python?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What do you need to do    exactly?

0 Kudos
merkesy
New Contributor II

I have a feature class with several polygons. For my project, I now need a part of a polygon that has a certain area size that I have defined beforehand. For example, I have a polygon with an area of 2000 m^2, but I only need a part of this polygon with an area of 1400 m^2 for my next step. In the end, I need to have a polygon with an area of the required 1400 m^2 and a polygon which has the remaining area.

0 Kudos
HannesZiegler
Esri Contributor

I'm not sure if there is an off-the-shelf analytic solution to this problem, you might have to turn to an iterative approach where you determine the required area size, then within a loop you split the original polygon, compare the new area to the required area, and repeat until it is within a given tolerance.

0 Kudos