ArcPro 2.6-2.7 Can't export working georeferenced pdf maps

Jump to solution
12-29-2020 07:30 AM
Labels (3)
DamianSmith
New Contributor III

@_____ I've seen others posting about issues with exporting georeferenced maps since ArcPro 2.6. Earlier solutions posted from a couple of years ago don't apply to our situation.  We use both Collector and Avenza Maps for different solutions. Avenza is mainly for static reference maps that don't change and during particular projects, where data collection isn't needed or we lack reliable internet connections. Has anyone found a workaround for the problem? We're entering a busy period for us and it critical that I'm able to be able to produce georeferenced pdf maps or layouts

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for reporting this Damian.  I reproduced with your exact settings.  I unchecked Simulate Overpost and my PDF opened in Avenza Maps just fine.  Please try turning that option off can confirm.  I hope that is an acceptable workaround until we address the issue.

Jeff - Layout/arcpy.mp teams 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Damian,

Can you tell me what problems you are having with the exported maps? Are they too large? Is the georeferencing incorrect? Something else? Also, are you exporting maps or layouts? 

Thanks,

Aubri

Cheers,
Aubri
DamianSmith
New Contributor III

Hi Aubri,

When I export from Arcpro, either a map or layout, the tool behaves normally. However, when I bring those maps/layouts into Avenza; it tells me the map isn't referenced and no coordinates are detected.  The particular files that have this problem were all updated and exported from 2.6-2.7 and under 3 megabytes on export. The imported files into Avenza are also no not too large. Same size files, I've been exporting and importing into Avenza for years.  The coordinate systems haven't changed. Attached is an image of the Avenza Error message (Nothing you can do about that) and my tool setting, which are the same settings I used before 2.6/2.7 without issue for 2.5 years. 

JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for reporting this Damian.  I reproduced with your exact settings.  I unchecked Simulate Overpost and my PDF opened in Avenza Maps just fine.  Please try turning that option off can confirm.  I hope that is an acceptable workaround until we address the issue.

Jeff - Layout/arcpy.mp teams 

DamianSmith
New Contributor III

Thank you for coming up with an answer, so quickly. This will save me quite a few headaches, especially when generating new maps on the fly, while in the field. I'm just curious as to what the cause was?

0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Damian,

Our graphics team just confirmed that this is by design.  Simulate Overpost produces something similar to Output As Image - i.e., georef info is lost.  We will update the bug, the documentation and I will also suggest that the georef option be disabled if Simulate Overpost is checked on.  

Jeff - Layout/arcpy.mp team

DanielShults1
New Contributor

I am having the same issue with Avenza not recognizing my georeferenced map. I have done everything I know to do, I've recreated my layout in ArcMap and it works perfectly. Pro will not work correctly and I do not know why. I followed the same steps in this thread and have simulate overprint off. Not sure what to do at this point.

0 Kudos
PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having the same problem. There's NO WAY I can recreate what I produced in Pro in ArcMap. And I need the exported PDFs to have their coordinates. I have also unchecked 'Simulate overprint' (which is the default). Any other clue?

I was able to produce geo-referenced PDFs earlier this year. I suspect a recent update killed the capability. It took me weeks to get the map I have.

I suppose... I could export the map as a JPG and then bring into ArcMap, geo-reference the image, and then export it as a geo-referenced PDF. That would be a strange workaround, but I'm gonna try it. I'm desperate!

0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of Pro are you using?  Note - both Simulate overprint and  Output as image will strip away georeference information.

Jeff - arcpy.mp and Layout teams

0 Kudos
PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

And yes, I know that 'Simulate overprint' and 'Output as image' strips away the geo-reference data. Which is why they are *un*checked. I don't think I have ever used either of those options.

Just a bit of background, like I said before, I have created geo-referenced PDFs from ArcGIS Pro earlier this year. I uploaded them to Avenza and gathered way points with them. And shared them with other folks who said the maps worked great. But all of a sudden, it has decided not to work. I suspect it was a recent update, but maybe not?

I'm using version 2.8.3.

0 Kudos