Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 "Project Save Error" - Failed to Save Project

06-25-2022 05:50 PM
islandpowerco
New Contributor II

I have just upgraded to ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 from v2.9.3. I now encounter a file save error as soon as I try to save any of my existing projects. I get the following error (see attached):

"Project Save Error" "Failed to save project".

Note that I am using ArcGIS Pro in Parallels on a Mac, however all files opened and saved correctly in v2.9.3 with no issues. Performance of ArcGIS Pro in Parallels on the Mac is fine and I have not encountered issues like this previously. The issue occurs when I try to Save a project or Save As a project.

The project and all of its contents are entirely local. There is no network connection or network drive of any kind. There are no files or data fetched from any source outside the local project folder. There are no add-ins and no extensions. The project does not contain any rasters.

The issue only occurs after upgrading ArcGIS Pro to v3.0.0. New projects that are created from scratch in v3.0.0 are able to be saved successfully. 

--------

My system:
ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 (latest)
.NET Desktop Runtime v6.06 (latest)

Macbook Pro 
OS Monterey 12.3.1 (latest)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Parallels 
Parallels Version 17.1.4 (51567) (latest)
Windows 10 Home edition v21H1

19 Replies
islandpowerco
New Contributor II

Update. As a test, I copied the entire project folder to the Windows desktop, to ensure it was not an issue with dropbox or the mac drive. This new location also removes all spaces from the folder name structure.  

The issue still occurs, as attached. 

0 Kudos
islandpowerco
New Contributor II

Update 2:
I uninstalled ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 and reinstalled v2.9.0....
All files are now saving correctly with no issues in 2.9.0

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

This can be a result of something specific to the project that is failing during the translation process from 2.9 to 3.0. As a failsafe the project is prevented from saving. Can you send the project so we can take a look at it?

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Aaron_Kale
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue. Just upgraded to 3.0. I did a save as off an old ArcGIS Pro 2.9 project to create a separate project for a new area of interest I'm working on. Saved once or twice in my new 3.0 project but now I can't save.

Andrew I saw you didn't get a response and was going to ask if I could send my project to be looked at. However when I hit "Package" in the Package Project tool it says that my project has changed and would need to save first. I hit yes which did nothing. I can close Pro without saving and then try to package but not sure if that would still be helpful to you.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aaron,

Send me a zip of the project folder with the aprx, gdb etc first and i'll see if that's sufficient.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
yigalm
by
New Contributor III

I have a client experiencing the same issue. There is no problem saving the project in 2.9, but in 3.0 they get 'failed to save project' error without any specific reason. The project is heavy with many maps and layouts, but 2.9 handles it correctly. Is there something like ArcMap's MXD Doctor to analyse the project?

Regards,

Yigal

0 Kudos
NaomiForrest
New Contributor

I am also having the same issue. Just installed 3.0 and won't save 2.9 projects but will save 3.0. Should I uninstall 3.0?

0 Kudos
yigalm
by
New Contributor III

I have the same issue with 2 different customers. Both have heavy projects with many layouts.

The projects can be opened but can not be saved. It is a big headache to build these projects again.

Is there something like the MXD Doctor for ArcGIS Pro? Having an error saying 'project failed to save' doesn't really help.

Yigal

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Please reach out to technical support so a case can be created and they can take an in-depth look at the project as well as the environment to determine what may be the cause https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos