ArcGIS Pro Label Placement grayed out in SCENE

09-19-2017 08:06 AM
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

I'm using Scene in ArcGIS Pro and I don't understand why my Label Placement is grayed out even though I've selected my Feature Class in the Contents panel and the Maplex Label Engine is checked? I'm new to Pro and could be missing something obvious.

screen capture

25 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Dan, thanks so much for responding.  As far as I can tell my labels are turned on.  I've right click onto my feature an turned the labels on that way....also clicked onto the labels icon in the upper left to turn them on as well and still the label placement is grayed out.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pete, there are too many options to sift through, you will have to elaborate on where the process breaks down.  I assume that you have a featureclass layer which can be labelled, but the point where the options gets activates suggests that something simple hasn't been done

two access points

1  right-click on a layer and select 'Label' , the labels appear and the toolbar options appear

2  right-click on a layer and select 'Label properties'  the following dialog appears as well

aronlangley
New Contributor

Hi Pete,

Ive had trouble with labels in the 2D group, when I move them to the 3D group they seem to work better.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sounds like a bug - BUG-000093727 : Label customization options are disabled in 3D Scene in ArcGIS Pro. 

PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for identifying the issue and reporting it, thought I was going crazy!

0 Kudos
EricDéziel
New Contributor II

I have the exact same problem. I can't label anything. 

0 Kudos
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Apparently it's a bug that has the label placement disabled. The issue has officially been reported, but have no idea on the timeline as to when it'll be fixed. Until we hear otherwise, we're out of luck on this one....

EricDéziel
New Contributor II

Well, in the meantime, you can use a featureclass in the 2D section with symbology. You can copy/paste this featureclass in the 3D section with a label and no symbology. You will not have the choice of label, bit at least it will be some label...

0 Kudos