----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
28 Replies
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

This is to confirm that I got the same behavior as you when I close the ArcgisPro after setting the units to meters, the setting from the option dialogue box reverts back to foot when I open it again and start a new project.

but I noticed that it is mentioned clearly that the units setting is for this project only, and not for the application, so when you create a new map in the same project you will get the same units, and if you open it again, the pro will keep the same setting for this project. I do agree with you jamal, esri should add the units settings under the application and not for each project (the same as the map).

Best

Majdoleen

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you use anything that has 'feet' ? 

basemap?

some app?

a spell checker?

some localization? or regionalization? that uses feet (as might be the case if you lived in the U.S.)

I have never had a project created or opened that had any unit set to feet or any other U.S.-based unit?

I would contact Tech Support so they can go through your use-case to see how non-metric units are getting into your system.  It may not have anything to do with ArcGIS Pro

An interesting puzzle

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

do you use anything that has 'feet' ? 

basemap?

some app?

a spell checker?

This is to confirm that I worked with meter only!!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tech Support would be my suggestion, you have feet walking around somewhere

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Most probably, this is a bug!

i would appreciate if esri experts can confirm

Jamal Numan
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

If it is a defect, I would recommend contacting Esri technical support. They are the only ones that can create a defect for development to review.

--- George T.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This issue persists to exist in 2.9.

Despite the fact that the “location unit” is set to be “meters”, as the project starts the default is kept at “decimal degree”.

Also, we need this setting to be at the level of application but not at level of aprx

Clip_1214.jpgClip_1215.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

I had the same problem in 2.8 and am still having the same problem in 3.0.3.  It seems that ESRI has no interest is fixing this one.

I will also log a job with technical support as I'm thoroughly sick of having to manually select my preferred location units for EVERY SINGLE MAP !!!

Or perhaps that "Default" button in the ArcGIS Pro has some other purpose, and I'm mis-understanding what it is supposed to do.

0 Kudos
TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

Actually, on second thoughts, I belive that my facetious comment was actually true.  That "Default" button does actually do something different to what I thought, and I believe that it does actually work as intended.

Note that the "Units" options are under the "Current Project" category of Options!  If I change the default Location Units while in an open project, then it DOES actually work for any new map opened WITHIN THAT CURRENT PROJECT.

If I open a new project, then that will have reverted to ESRI's default.

What we really need, is a default setting that is universal, and not per-project (ie, what most people expect "Default" to mean!).

0 Kudos