ArcGIS Pro freezes loading simple symbol previews (using VMWare Horizon VDI)

02-25-2022 02:08 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a sporadic yet very annoying and occasionally pervasive issue that keeps popping up and hoping that somebody out there has experienced something similar and has been able to fix (or avoid)....

My environment: VMWare Horizon VDI interface, ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0, 2x 1080p monitors...

The Issue: Occasionally when loading a symbol preview, ArcGIS Pro will "hang" or freeze, causing me to lose connectivity to the VDI, most times will come back up after 1-2 minutes, but on10-15% of the time will cause me to completely lose the VDI connection, forcing me to log back in.  According to our IT guy, our VDI is pretty robust on the GPU side.  It also happens with even the most simple symbols.  

Feel free to ask questions, but I think that about covers the issue I'm experiencing.

Thanks all in advance.

1 Reply
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

I've experienced the same issue via VM-Ware. The server has a delay in rendering and there is usually a connection delay as well, same as like a chat delay on a livestream. PRO is built to be a better renderer than ArcMap and I had tested the difference in "hang" incidents and PRO usually does have a harder time getting past these occasional hangs. It is not limited to VM Ware either in my experience. The occasional delay, freeze, hang, or drop in connection is something my IT group said to expect regardless of virtual connection service. You may want to free up temporary file space for RAM, C-Drives, and processing to help give PRO and your connection that extra boost to get past these drops or slow-down hangs. 

However, it may be good to see if you could open a ticket with ESRI or VM-Ware anyways just in case the error or situation is being caused somewhere else in the system. 

This has been my experience trying to render in PRO for material like points, lines, polygons, etc. Hope this helps narrow down the issue towards resolution for you.

Kind regards!

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos