Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro file selection dialog is slow

03-04-2019 02:09 AM
PaulKennedy1
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I would like to add to the chorus of constructive feedback on the performance of ArcGISPro. Before you ask me about my hardware, it is well beyond questioning.  12 cores, 64gb ram I7, nvidia P2000, 4 TB SSD.  Please accept the machine is not the problem. All other spatial software runs fantastic, Microstation, AutoCAD, Fledermaus, CARIS, QGIS, GoogleEarth...

AcrGIX Pro makes life for users really unpleasantly frustrating.  My current gripe is the non-standard file selection dialog you have designed. To be perfectly honest it is a dog. Even opening a folder on my local SSD takes as long as 20 seconds, while the standard microsoft file open dialog is instantaneous.  All I see with ESRI are you multiple, lame, busy icons.(they are a crutch, not a solution, if it was quick you would not need these). If we are being honest, the user is not busy, the computer is not busy, your poor architecture is incapable of providing an effective user interface.

We have no idea what this dialog is trying to do, but whatever it is, it has no end-user value in the delays it causes.  

Can I please ask you offer the user an option (in options) to use the standard MS dialog instead? Pre-scanning folders is not a sensible strategy if it slows users down. 

Please take this as constructive feedback.  We have used ESRI tools for years, and don't want to walk away.  The unfortunate reality is you are pushing the community to QGIS. Unfortunately if you dont fix your performance problems, your business will continue to suffer.

I honestly do not believe you don't see these problems in your office. I have been to your campus, seen your hardware and it is no better than mine.

13 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Bill:

You said "I did have serious problems with our corporate firewall/virus software."

How exactly did you eliminate problems from the corporate firewall/virus software?

0 Kudos
BillBott
Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael. 

I purchased a $75 SSD drive and reinstalled the full stack locally, off domain.

Installing straight "out of the box" sped things up dramatically, and I was also able to see what could be locked down or not, what worked well and what things were still in need of refinement.

As close to an unvarnished view as I can  get.  

Still need to figure out those pesky firewall and anti-virus things of course, but experiencing how it's supposed to work firsthand, helps. 

0 Kudos
JohnFix1
Occasional Contributor

This behavior reminds me of when ArcMap/ArcCatalog were first released. It spent so much time digging into subfolders so it could display an icon beside the folder so you knew if it had GIS data in it.

It was unacceptable back then and modifications were made to the apps, I can't understand why Esri thinks it would be acceptable now. 

It is a productivity killer, plain and simple.

IanFrakes2
New Contributor

UPDATED:

I mentioned this to a colleague today and he said he maintains only one drive connection in his Catalog "Folder Connections" list, I've just tried it on my local C: drive and it does seem quicker for the short time I've tried it.

------------

I have had the same problem in Australia, very slow file dialog box opening, for many years over many versions of ArcMap.

10 to 30 seconds for every dialog box including Spatial analyst tool box.

The local Australian ESRI solution was to set up the file indexing system, but the engine crashes multiple times a day, displaying an error dialog.

These were the first things I tested after installing Pro, there was no change. I don't use Pro because it cannot perform a simple data join.

We're still waiting to migrate our corporate system to Windows 10, is it the same there too?

0 Kudos