ArcGIS Pro Feature to Points tool results in more features than selected

08-25-2020 11:50 AM
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to make a new feature class to store address locations. I have selected a subset of my data using a definition query (Where Address is not null AND Origin is equal to SurveyResponse). 306 features are selected using this query. I select all features in the table and run the Feature to Points tool. My new feature class contains 316 features. How can this be if my original selection was only 306 features?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are any of the feature multi-part features?

I could see how a single record may create multiple points.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SarahHartholt

No, both are point feature classes and the locations have been pulled from Survey123

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

What settings are you using for the GP tool? Feature To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I have not run this tool specifically, but what is the goal of the output?

I am wondering if the tool does not honor the query or selected records.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SarahHartholt

There is only one setting to change (the inside option) and have run it both ways, with the box checked and unchecked. 

Here is my current work flow: I published a public survey using survey123. I am very concerned with location information so the respondents have the option to enter their location using a geopoint question (by selecting the location on a map), selecting their address from a drop down (FullAddress), and/or typing in their address into a text field(FullAddressOther). I have downloaded the responses, query to only display features that have a value in the FullAddress field (where FullAddress is not null), join those responses to my address layer and use the Feature to Points tool to export the data to a new layer, ensuring that the address points have the correct coordinates.

I was also wondering if the tool might not be honoring my query and/or selected records.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

How many records are there total in the survey results?

You may want to contact support to see if that tool "should" honor the query.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SarahHartholt

I've changed my workflow and am still having problems. The issue is with my query/join. My definition query narrows down my data to 1,065 features. When I join my queried layer to my address layer, I am left with 1,700 matches. How does the join result in more features than my queried layer?

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

For each address there is more than 1 surveyresponse for that address. Looks like perhaps 5 (1070-1065) are matched multiple times. Hover over that warning message that shows 1070 records at the bottom of the attribute table to see information about the 1:m join. The 1:m join results in duplication in the output of Features To Points.

SarahHartholt

Yes there are multiple responses for the same address. The total count might make sense if it was less than my original selection of 1065 records, but it is more.

I ended up appending the 1,070 features and using the Find Identical GP tool to find and removed the duplicates but I still can't figure out why they were duplicated in the first place. 

0 Kudos